What Octane level for my gas is best??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What Octane level for my gas is best??

I use premium

Old 03-13-2007, 02:20 PM

I use premium too

Old 03-13-2007, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike is rated for 91 research octane number, the majority of US pumps are rated in research octane number plus motor octane number all divided by 2..............and thats 87, hence regular plain ole pump gas. Its called the antiknock index, page 39 of the KLX manual. With a 2 gallon tank the $0.30 more per gallon isn't a big deal filling up I'm just trying to help you save some money but if you feel it runs better more power to you....................no pun intended.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:55 PM

Fuel octane rating has nothing to do with the power you get from burning it. High powered engines use high octane because they are high compression. The octane rating is how resistant fuel is to combusting under compression. Higher octane, lets you run higher compression before getting "knock" which is fuel combusting before the sparkplug fires.....bad bad stuff.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
Bingo! We use the lowest octane Sunoco Race fuel that we can get by with (no pre-detonation) in our LSR race bikesfor that very reason. Higher octane fuels than needed will not burn as effeciently.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:42 PM
ktn

The lowest octane that doesn't detonate will give you the cleanest burn and the most POWER.Racers who know use the lowest octane possible. While your at it, search for the lowest added ethanol...it varies by brand between 5 and 10% I think.

Also think small tank...gas in line from prior user ( saw somebody over on TT post about thic with a calculation ).

I'm using exon regular. Seems to work fine.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Im' in with all the lowest octane you can get by with guys. Its cheaper & there is no HP gain to be had with the hiogher octanes.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:54 PM

So if this is true than the question is can the bike "get by" with regular 87 octane level fuel?? Maybe the intermediate ocatane level gas is the best bet?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Go to page 39 of your manual and read the little chart then compare those numbers to the sticker on the pump. The pumps will have a sticker saying how the octane level was computed. Ours in NY say R+M/2 hence the 87 as I posted before. If your pumps are just R then you want 91. Or perhaps you here knock under hard acceleration, then by all means go up a level in octane.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:34 AM

PREMIUM!!!!!!!! higher octain fuels are better for the engine, any engine. You also get better gas milage with a high octain, so the diffrence in price averages out.

i work at a gas station and we call 87 the dirty juice [:'(]

Old 05-27-2007, 01:33 PM

I always uses premium..runs and starts great!

Quick Reply: What Octane level for my gas is best??