what is good motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default what is good motor oil?

I searched for engine oil, but to admit it, I'm just too lazy to re-read all the posts...what is a good motor oil to use? please be specific and include all info I would need to know ifI was to go and purchase it. ie name brand, weight (ie10w40), whether its conevntional, half or full synthetic, and also how often it should be changed (I know synthetics can go longer). Thanks in advance

currently I have been using Kawasaki 10w40 oil and changing it every 1200 miles (2000km), but believe there is a better choice out there..I just don't know it yet.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: what is good motor oil?

well i use bel ray motorcycle oil, 10w40 ( what kawi reccommends) and a hiflo oilfilter. i change the oil every 1000 miles and 2 qts of oil and filter are 16$ for me.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:44 PM

I use Kawasaki 10-40 conventional in my KLX.I like to use the manufactures oil in my other bikes also,Honda 10-40 for the 919,yamaha 10-40 and yamalube in theDT 250.I use conventional oil because I like to change my oil often,1,000 miles for the dirt bikes 2,000 for the street bike.I think it depends alot on how many and what kind of miles you put on to justify synthetic or not.I don't ride my bikes very hard so I think regular oil is fine for me.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40 (formally MX4t) and I plan to change it at 1000 to 1500 mile intervals.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
IG

just make sure it has the required ratings as stated in the owners manual and you're good to go. I used castrol syn. blend in my KLX and it shifted tons better afterwards as well. you'll pay for names a lot if you get carried away, but make sure you use motorcycle engine oil and not mobil 1 car oil as I bought some of that and had to drain it out after finding out it wouldn't protect like motorcycle oil does. mobil 1 makes motorcycle oil so if you want that brand, find the bike oil. otherwise, they all protect pretty much the same if they're ranked with the jaso thing that is stated in the owners manual. royal purple, redline, etc. aren't gonna protect any better than castrol four-stroke oil. that's a myth, but if you want to pay $15/quart have at it.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Whale oil!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IG

just make sure it has the required ratings as stated in the owners manual and you're good to go. I used castrol syn. blend in my KLX and it shifted tons better afterwards as well. you'll pay for names a lot if you get carried away, but make sure you use motorcycle engine oil and not mobil 1 car oil as I bought some of that and had to drain it out after finding out it wouldn't protect like motorcycle oil does. mobil 1 makes motorcycle oil so if you want that brand, find the bike oil. otherwise, they all protect pretty much the same if they're ranked with the jaso thing that is stated in the owners manual. royal purple, redline, etc. aren't gonna protect any better than castrol four-stroke oil. that's a myth, but if you want to pay $15/quart have at it.
IG, do you use a synthetic blend Castrol oil (which is strictly automotive) or a motorcycle oil as you have directed us to, make up your mind.

I use Repsol 10w40 4t Racing Synthetic (5W30 in winter).
It is one of the few oils I could find with the current API SJ rating that Kawasaki requires.
I was using the Mobil 1 Racing 4T but noticed that it only meets API SG/SH categories.

Full synthetic oils are superior to mineral based oils in most every regard but that is not to say that our little bikes will benefit much from them but for the tiny bit of extra $ it's worth it to me.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I found that switching to full synthetic, shifting has improved and less false neutrals. Definitely worth the extra money!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 PM
IG

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

ORIGINAL: IG

IG, do you use a synthetic blend Castrol oil (which is strictly automotive) or a motorcycle oil as you have directed us to, make up your mind.

I use Repsol 10w40 4t Racing Synthetic (5W30 in winter).
It is one of the few oils I could find with the current API SJ rating that Kawasaki requires.
I was using the Mobil 1 Racing 4T but noticed that it only meets API SG/SH categories.

Full synthetic oils are superior to mineral based oils in most every regard but that is not to say that our little bikes will benefit much from them but for the tiny bit of extra $ it's worth it to me.
as this post stated, I used a syn. blended castrol motorcycle oil which was rated per the manual of the KLX. Since you're having difficulty grasping what that entails, here's the specific oil I swear by. There is no "making up ofmy mind" as I was as clear as a bell on my description- motorcycle rated, KLX manual specific rated, blended, Castrol brand, etc.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=6004073

Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

As IG said, it probably doesn't matter so much, considering the intended purpose of the bike.

Just get the right viscosity, with the right ratings, and be sure it's motorcycle oil, and you ought to be good to go.

I myself happen to be running Bel Ray 10w40 moto oil. I swear by no-one though, and buy only what my wallet and my bike agree with.

Quick Reply: what is good motor oil?