What do you do for a living

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What do you do for a living

Maintenance Mechanic II for the University of Washington. I take care of all the systems from the water boosted system to the fire system, to heating and electrical (I'm an electrician) to security and safety. I also do all of the plumbing and carpentry, so far I haven't had to call anyone in for help. It did take me 3 years to get all of the as-built prints and equipment manuals since the general was in some sort of dispute with the University. I also maintain approximately 50 gas appliances which include stoves, furnaces, duct heaters, space heaters, hot water tanks and the like. Started at this new facility 2 weeks before the doors opened in July of 1995, so I got to work with all of the contractors as they got ready to leave, also lived on site for a year and a half for free. My son was born while living here. I take a lot of ownership in my job and look forward to coming to work everyday. Here is a link to the place. Later all.

www.onrc.washington.edu (where I work)

www.washington.edu (Who I work for)

Here are a few pictures I know nobody asked for pictures but I was bored and I like to share, sorry for the long post.

This is the facility from a birds eye view

Here's one that shows our water towers, one for domestic water and the other for the fire system

Outside the facility apartments

The dining Hall

Local wildlife

Inside the apartments

Inside the lobby

Meeting room

Inside dinning room

Fire pump, man that thing is loud!!

Water controller

Old 09-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

cool looking site deej.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm a first responder for conflicts or natural disasters...big plane drops us off in the middle of nowhere and they tell us to make an airfield out of it...first we secure the area and then set up comms with HQ...once we get things rolling we can start receiving planes brining in the main body...after main body gets in we turn the airfield over to them and head home...usually gone for about 45 days at a time and the airfield can be turned over to any branch of the military... ...we're self suffient...everything that can fit on our pallets are all that we need...we have are specialties but wind up doing a little of everything since we travel in small groups...kind of cool...I can't complain...

Old 09-14-2006, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hoedogg

cool looking site deej.
Thanks we should share ideas sometimes or shoot each other questions for maintenance issues. It's always nice to get another opinion. Hey speaking of maintenance, I just replaced 6 Kohler toilets that were new in 1995 that no longer have parts available, I was wondering if you knew if anyone could use these things. They are free just pay the shipping. The Kohler 81100 pressure tanks (top half) Oh sure they are obsolete and you can't find parts oh and they are known to explode, but its all good.

http://www.terrylove.com/wwwboard/messages2/28138.html

Just kidding I guess I will throw them away, but it seems like someone out there must be looking for parts. I have 5 of these that I just replaced.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I work on the under ground electric lines For the local power company. It is a pretty good living but it is a dangerous job. We just had a fatality about two months ago. I Didn't know him but a lot of my co-workers did and they all said he was a great guy. He was 55 years old and had 20 years on the job.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:41 AM

Im an HVACR TECH heavy commercial in NYC

Old 09-14-2006, 04:41 AM

I'm a fishing guide in Oregon specializing in salmon, steelhead and sturgeon.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onestarr99

I work on the under ground electric lines For the local power company. It is a pretty good living but it is a dangerous job. We just had a fatality about two months ago. I Didn't know him but a lot of my co-workers did and they all said he was a great guy. He was 55 years old and had 20 years on the job.
That sucks, I watched a show on the discovery channel about underground power technicians, and you are understating how dangerous it is, man be careful and always lockout and double check.[&:]

Old 09-14-2006, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kmarshall

I'm a fishing guide in Oregon specializing in salmon, steel head and sturgeon.
Have you ever been to Forks for the Salmon and Steel head runs? I just got back into fishing after 15 years or so, I even bought a drift boat last year and hit most of the rivers around here, what a blast just floating even by myself. Here is a picture of my boat and the first big salmon I have caught in over 25 years.

Name:  Boat.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  150.5 KB

Here is a picture of the 32 lb female I caught by myself and it took me an hour and 50 minutes to get it in because I knew I was going to keep it and it was the first big fish I had hooked in years. I was afraid I was going to loose it so I took my time, man my arms were tired and I still had 4 miles to go to the pull out. I actually bent the net getting it in the boat, and then I yelled really loud, but there was nobody to share it with, but loads of fun anyway.
Name:  100_4888.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  137.1 KB

Old 09-14-2006, 05:08 AM

I'm a K9 handler/trainer.

Name:  bitesuit20malinois.gif
Views: 15
Size:  17.6 KB

Quick Reply: What do you do for a living