What do you bring to prevent Flat??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

That slot slides around a spoke, and as for slime, I've heard the same. Plus if it leaks out of your punctured tube and inside your wheel, it makes a nasty mess.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by North/South
Question on this bead buddy, how does it work? and what is the slot for?
4m15s. Shows its use quite well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTata...e=channel_page

Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Install rim locks! Then you can just ride the flat tire home.. That's what I do. Screw bringing tubes/irons/pumps.

I do keep a CO2 inflator on me though.

Oh, and worse case scenario if you're really deep in the woods and want to get out - you can stuff big clumps of grass in your tire. Actually works pretty well in a pinch

Old 08-07-2009, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BriansZ
Those of you that pack a spare tube, if you just carry one tube which size do you choose? A front tube would work temporarily on the rear of the bike, correct?
If I ever carry a spare tube, its a 21'...work on both if need be.

I always carry three tire irons, same ones I use at home..lil 8 inchers, bicycle patch kit and pump...thats it......but I like the soapy water idea, but I see no real world way of me carrying around soapy water, I'll find the leak in the tube with spit.

Someone above posted some big tire irons...you don't need those here's my field kit in action....on vacation no less. See my tire irons, get some that look like those, I luv em, work great and real light...although expensive in my book .... like $13 each

Name:  DSC01127.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  121.5 KB

Old 08-07-2009, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info on how to change a tire. Looks like even I can do this. Will have to try it at home as a practice for a posible problem on the road.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
i dont run max, but about 22-25 psi. i dont notice much diffrence airing them down for trails so i just dont..

wow I have some trails here you will not make it up with 22-25 psi
but if you just air down to 13-14 its no problem!

then again maybe its just me I do like to bend the bars alot

Old 08-07-2009, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by North/South
Thanks for the info on how to change a tire. Looks like even I can do this. Will have to try it at home as a practice for a posible problem on the road.
Did someone post a link to the great mx track tire changing video.....that vid really helped my technique and speed ... oh and confidence.

If a dumb azzze phisherman like me can easily patch a flat in the swamp in summer without worries......it should be cake for a real biker......just sayin

Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wedge
wow I have some trails here you will not make it up with 22-25 psi
but if you just air down to 13-14 its no problem!

then again maybe its just me I do like to bend the bars alot
i dont know dude, people have told me that, i srug it off and do the trails right behind them. whats your local riding like, here is pritty hard pack, but once you ride it some it breaks down to basicly sand (almost NO rain here in so cal). as for bars, im sick of bending 7/8ths, im waiting to pick my check up later today to see if i can order some big bars, bent another set of pro tapers. i thought these where strong?

Old 08-08-2009, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

bent another set of pro tapers. i thought these where strong?
Get these, XXXy, but quality costs.

Renthal Twinwall.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

i dont know dude, people have told me that, i srug it off and do the trails right behind them. whats your local riding like, here is pritty hard pack, but once you ride it some it breaks down to basicly sand (almost NO rain here in so cal). as for bars, im sick of bending 7/8ths, im waiting to pick my check up later today to see if i can order some big bars, bent another set of pro tapers. i thought these where strong?
We have some really steep muddy..... or when it drys out like this month hard red clay through in a bunch of fist size rocks for good measure then run the quads up and down for a while to make it a daul track when just last year it got cut in as a single. really we have a lot of everything up here in the NW you can even ride around and tke all the easy routes at your own pace like DEEJ and never drop it

I just put on some EVO's and they better hold up or I'll be trying the renthal twin wall next. sooner or later i'll find something that I can't bend/break!

For me....dropping the psi made the tire bigger with less bounce so I had more over-all traction.

Quick Reply: What do you bring to prevent Flat??