Web Cams 101 instalation

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Web Cams 101 instalation

I have just received a set of WebCams, 101 grind. I plan to drop them in this weekend, along with a KK 331.
Questions.
Is this a straight forward cam instalation. Am I going to need a degree wheel? I have a shim set from HotCams so will check and adjust clearances if needed.
Any advise or pointers from forum members that have installed Webcams will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Degreeing cams is usually beneficial under most any circumstances, but it's especially worth it if you've spent money on aftermarket cams. Still, I bet you'll get a bump in performance even if you don't.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the webcams, at least the 101, are supposed to be drop ins (shimming may be required on the valves however). as tnc said degreeing might help but I doubt you would see much gain outside of back to back dyno pulls at least on the klx.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

My Web 101 cams were drop in. Nothing needed special just adjust your valves to spec.

How would you degree these cams anyway in this motor?

I think you would have to slot the cam chain gears on the end of the cams to get any adjustment?

I could be wrong?

This seems too much work for little improvement if any?

But I follow the rule every little bit adds up, so it may help some?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wild will
My Web 101 cams were drop in. Nothing needed special just adjust your valves to spec.

How would you degree these cams anyway in this motor?

I think you would have to slot the cam chain gears on the end of the cams to get any adjustment?

I could be wrong?

This seems too much work for little improvement if any?

But I follow the rule every little bit adds up, so it may help some?
Yes, that's the general method on a bike like the KLX...slot the cam gears.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Yes, that's the general method on a bike like the KLX...slot the cam gears.
Anybody try it on a klx with improvement after?

Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the answers guys. Drop in and adjust clearances seems the way forward. No way that I am about to start slotting cam sprockets.
I will report back on the Bump from 300 to 331 with Cams. Just hope it was worth the cash.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower
Thanks for the answers guys. Drop in and adjust clearances seems the way forward. No way that I am about to start slotting cam sprockets.
I will report back on the Bump from 300 to 331 with Cams. Just hope it was worth the cash.
If it puts a smile on your face & you can afford to spend the money...It's worth it!

My mechanic dropped the 101's straight in with no problems. Make sure the shims are at the loose end of the tolerance scale. There was a little more noise from the topend after fitting the lumpier cams but my mechanic said it was to be expected from an already not so quiet thumper engine! And that was many thousands of miles ago & still sounds the same.

Enjoy some more torque in the low/mid rpm range & that extra 1000rpm of topend power before the power curve starts to drop off. Every little extra HP counts on these light weight SuMo's.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Following this with much interest.

Im trying to decide just what to go for on my new KLX250 EFI. Already messaged some of you, asking for advice. This is a very good chance to get to know the difference between the 300cc and 331cc kit and also the cams ofcourse.

Once you have rolled a few tankfuls, I am very interested in hearing what it has meant for your fuel range and such things.

I want to thank everyone for sharing all this good information!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke
Following this with much interest.

Im trying to decide just what to go for on my new KLX250 EFI. Already messaged some of you, asking for advice. This is a very good chance to get to know the difference between the 300cc and 331cc kit and also the cams ofcourse.

Once you have rolled a few tankfuls, I am very interested in hearing what it has meant for your fuel range and such things.

I want to thank everyone for sharing all this good information!
Fuel range? Whats that? But seriously, I have done so many different mods and always measure my MPG. There is almost nothing you can do to the little KLX to either increase or decrease consumption. Bigger bore kits just mean more usable power. so you tend not to have to rev the Cr@p out of it to get where you wanted to be. So all in all I have gotten 25 Km per litre since day 1, and still the same today.

Quick Reply: Web Cams 101 instalation