Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Vibration

I took my bike into the stealership last week to have the gas tank recall work done and now my bike vibrates in the gas tank area. However, when I put my legs against the shrouds, it seems to stop or muffle the noise. It does not happen at all speeds or gears. Not sure if the gas tank is causing the noise, shrouds hitting the gas tank or something else? I have not had a chance to track down the problem yet and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on where I might start? Thanks

Last edited by Websurfing101; 09-13-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

It could be many things, but you'll need to pull the tank yourself and inspect the tank and frame interface. It could be something simple like one of the rubber bumpers falling out or not being installed correctly to some other component hitting the gas tank. You always go back to the last thing done, and since the bike was in the shop for that recall, I'd inspect everything in the area of the bike where that work was done.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

forgot to put a bolt back on?...won't know until you take it off...if you don't want to do it yourself, just take it back to the dealer....

Old 09-13-2012, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

...and THAT'S why I haven't taken mine in for the recall yet...

Old 09-13-2012, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope that it is an easy fix because I seem to spend more time working on the bike, than riding it. Also, it is very sad that the dealership always seems to create problems for me when I bring my bike in and then they want to charge me for their mistakes.

Last edited by Websurfing101; 09-13-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd also make sure the front of the seat is secured to the gas tank. When I put my new seat on the padding was a little less in the front and could hear it vibrating. I had to bang the clasp down a bit to make it a more snug fit.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I'd also make sure the front of the seat is secured to the gas tank. When I put my new seat on the padding was a little less in the front and could hear it vibrating. I had to bang the clasp down a bit to make it a more snug fit.
I tried pulling up on the front part of the seat when it started to vibrate, but it did not seem to help. When I push on the right radiator shroud the noise seemed to stop. I am not sure if it is the shroud vibrating against the tank, radiator guards or gas tank touching part of the frame. However, I am sure it can be fixed, but I might have to take half the bike apart and slowly put it back together piece by piece. I just didn't want to kill my whole weekend chasing this ghost, but it is really annoying and I am tired of my bike being in pieces. I just want to ride!!!!

Last edited by Websurfing101; 09-13-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had the same happen after I've put things back together. Usually if you loosen the bolts that hold the shrouds on and then retighten it seems to quiet things down. You may need to put presure one way or another on the shroud with the bolt partially in to make it tighten up against the tank or other offending piece.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, the shrouds use two different length screws. Maybe the mechanic mixed them up.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

My timing chain noise at first sounded like a vibration near the steering head, it got louder and then it was obivious what it was.

Last edited by linkin5; 09-14-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Vibration