Update on merickk's 351 ordeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks to all of you that responded to my question. Today I've also talked to my dad who is kind of knowledgeable about motorcycles, my mechanic who has over 35 years experience, a friend that races KTM's, and Bill Blue himself. Based on their recommendations, all of your comments, plus the research I've done over the last year on the kit, I am going to move forward with the 351 kit. It's what I've wanted since I bought the bike, and I'm not hard on stuff at all (yes, I'm a slow rider ), so I think I think it should work out well for me. I've enjoyed the KLX as is, but feel it just needs a little bit more so I can use it as more of an all-rounder. I'm also adding an IMS tank, Sargent seat, and green plastics while I'm at it.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think you would get water in the oil from the water pump seals on a KLX, as there is a water drain hole between the water and oil seals.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
LOL!...I was wondering if you'd chime in. You're as hard as anyone on your KLX, and I haven't seen or heard of any catastrophies related to the 351 kit.
I definitely put the bike through hell! It looks like it too! hahaa.. But mechanically the bike is 100% and I wouldn't hesitate to bring it anywhere.

I just checked, I think I'm actually closer to 8k with the 351 kit.. The last two summers before this one I was unemployed and rode 3-5 times a week - for two spring/summer/falls.

It was the greatest two years of my life. hahaaaa

jckid - you're going to love it - have fun!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe the machinist at the sleeve supplier will get his job back now?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 AM
1st Gear Member

the original cylinder is a no sleeve cylinder.
The hole for the piston is part of the aluminum casting
The smaller bores are opened up and re sprayed with the nickle/silicone coating. I can't remember the name.

Bill bores them out and presses in a sleeve. If its not a 351 then its a DRY sleeve. No water on the outside, just the aluminum cylinder.

If he makes it a 351 all the aluminum is gone and the sleeve its self sits in water. This is a wet sleeve. I prefer the later.

Almost every diesel truck you see going down the road (450 hp) and most all heavy equipment used WET sleeves. They are good. Don't doubt them.

Dry sleeves have dissimilar metals against each other. SO they could corrode but do not. Dry sleeves have to send the heat through the aluminum to the water. Wet sleeve the heat goes directly to the water.

Ever boil water in a paper cup? ?

David

Old 09-17-2011, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't help wondering what the deal is with merickk and his bike. Does he beat the crap out of his bike, or did he just get unlucky with some bad parts?

A 351 kit is still on my long term wish list, but his experience does make me wonder...

Debby

Old 09-17-2011, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I recently converted mine. After about a hundred miles of riding around, I took it on a thousand mile trip on the Washington discovery trail and rode it HARD, starting with a 350 mile run south through Washington on slab, sitting in traffic jams on I5 and winding it out for long periods of time on a sweltering day, then four days of fast riding pushing the motor hard, in dirt on even hotter days. The fan came on maybe two or three times. No issues whatsoever. The 351 is good, I have to say that Merricks problem is a one off. One thing I noticed on mine when I did the kit was that head gasket water jacket port holes were not cut very cleanly.

Last edited by redpillar; 09-17-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

My 351 kit is shipping today! I can't wait to get it. I'm planning on taking it to my mechanic Friday, so by next week, I should be breaking it in.