Update on me and my new KLX, and some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Default Update on me and my new KLX, and some questions

Well, it's been 2 weeks now and I'm getting better with my bike handling (I'm loving this learning curve!). Today I went to the technical trails in this part of the world. I've played around enough in a gravel pit nearby that I thought I'd be ready for this area. I tried a few trails and quickly saw what some trials moto riders do, very technical climbs! I did my share of stalling, laying down, but overall was quite happy with the riding and especially the bike. I often feel like I'm DH mountain biking, but uphill!

Here's aHUGE thumbs up moment for the completely stock KLX250 ('09). I was at a trail head and see team ORANGE! 3 KTMs (1 250, 2 450) with the riders all decked out in full orange moto gear. I show up in my ski jacket, jeans, with mirrors, license plate, dual sport tires (you get the picture). I introduce myself, everyone is cool, and I follow them for a bit. They disappear, I do my own thing until we get to this big nasty climb full of soft loamy damp earth littered with big rocks and roots. I see two of the front riders, one is stuck, the other is down. They walk/drive their bikes out of the mess, turn around back down the hill for attempt number 2. So I park and watch. Rider one starts spinning, is dabbing like crazy, gets bucked and lays his bike down. Starts swearing, picks up his KTM and fogs his goggles. Rider 2 starts and bounces all over, dabs, spins, but does make it further before he dismounts and lays it down. I figure, what the hell, my turn. I give 'er, stand off the seat slightly, lean forward and pick my line. The KLX bounces and does it's thing and just keeps going. I cleaned that hill first try. When all at the top with helmets off cooling down, I mentioned it was my first time riding any technical trail. One of the guys quickly says "Don't gloat!" I have to say I was pretty pleased with the stock KLX. This bike is worthy! I thought I'd need to upgrade the stock tires to more agressive, not so sure now. I stopped after I noticed my shifter was bent into a 3rd footpeg from hooking on something in a deep nasty rut. Rode out in 1st gear, then just bent it back, seems back to normal. So first question, how many times can you bend that sucker and bend it back?

Also, my clutching needs refinement. I figure I should clutch with 2 fingers instead of all four but the lever hits my knuckles when I do this so there is still slight clutch engagement. Is this normal?

After that fun riding, I hop on the highway and cruise 65-70 mph all the way home, bike feeling great at these speeds and makes it up most big hills in 6th gear.
I have yet to test the top speed of this bike, not many straight sections here. No speed wobbles so far, no truck has hit me with too much wind either.

Here's a small example of the trail:

my practice area I recently found

Old 05-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Default RE: Update on me and my new KLX, and some questions

Oh and I got Sidi Discovery boots today. Love 'em. Tried the MSR VX1 ATV to compare, no comparison.From buckles to finish to fit, the Sidi's areworth the extra money. MSRs felt like big rubber boots, Sidi's had a snug proper fit. MSRs had all kinds of plastic protection but no steel toe, Sidi's has steel toe. Sidi's felt good on shifter right away. I didn't want to think of shifting with the big MSRs.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Update on me and my new KLX, and some questions

hey dude, good story, liked the bit where you made it up the hill.
Yes the clutch, set it up so that it works at the end of the travel and then you only need to use two fingers and you can still hang on to the bars. Trial and error will tell you but listen out for the clutch slipping when the lever is out, dont keep riding like that or you will cook your clutch, I set it to factory setting, eg a little less than 1/8th of an inch travel (freeplay its called) before you start to pull on the clutch cable. Also practice clutchless changes, carefully using the throttle, if you do it right you dont need a clutch, if you do it wrong you will be buying a new trans. Carefully would be the key word but most riders can learn how to do it. You cant do it under load uphill but everywhere else its a breeze, just tickle the gearstick and you will feel it. That way you still have a full hand on the bars.
Good luck and good riding
Lee