Trans American Trail (TAT) on a KLX250S - Who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Trans American Trail (TAT) on a KLX250S - Who's done it?

Has anybody ridden the TAT on their KLX250S? Can it be done? I realize there would be a few obvious upgrades that would need to be done (larger fuel tank). Looking for this to be our next trip, but wondering if we need to trade up to DRZ400's. Opinions?

jordan

Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't see a reason why it couldn't be done, what reason do you see?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
I don't see a reason why it couldn't be done, what reason do you see?
I was just reading through the FAQ's on Sam's TAT website, and he recommended 400cc or more. I personally feel that the KLX250's would be up for it, but I wasn't sure if I was missing something.

jordan

Old 07-11-2010, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure it would be just fine.. I'd be more worried about the rider and if they're up to it

Old 07-11-2010, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Seems like I remember reading that Sam used a KLX to ride it.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

i would do a round the world trip on the klx if i had enought cash/time. tat, no problem. just make sure you have the bike set up for the bags and such and not do it last minute like ive done a few times.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:22 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

People are very different in their approaches to riding and what turns them on...nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't do the TAT or any big cross-country ride on any bike that I had to carry all my gear like clothing, camping stuff, or other survival gear. For me it detracts from the whole reason I ride a dirt bike...or at least a dual purpose bike.

Now...if someone was shadowing me or other riders in a support vehicle to carry all the heavy stuff, I think I could ride coast-to-coast. Even back when I owned pure road bikes and even touring bikes, I wound with bigger behemoth bikes carrying more and more crap to camp and be self-sufficient, that I got burned out on those bikes. The same thing can happen to a dual purpose bike. I'd only do a big trip like that with a support vehicle. I think I'd hate to strap a bunch of stuff on the KLR and make an overloaded wheelbarrow out of it. Even if you stay in motels, you have to carry quite a bit of stuff.

My hats off to those tough souls who can load up their DS bikes like the Clampetts moving from Tennessee and ride across country like that. It's doable on just about any bike if you're so inclined and tough enough. Heck, there was a story about some guy going around the world on a self-sustained trip on one of those step-thru Honda 90's. A KLX would be like a Winnebago in comparison...LOL! The bike would be up to it...just not my kind of death march...especially having to carry all my support gear.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 AM
1st Gear Member

personally, i pack like the bike, light as possable. after my last trip, im keeping it down to a sleeping bag, a tent, an extra shirt, socks, and underwear and thats it. ok, maybe some slip on shoes and tools. no rack, so side bags, just a backpack. loading a bike does take a lot of fun out of it.

and were you talking about wan on the honda ruckus (50cc's of guts across the us).http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12143

Old 07-11-2010, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the responses... All of our camping gear is ultra light stuff, and packs rather small. But it does add up. My wife and I have been doing dry runs since the winter (Ouachita NF in Arkansas) getting used to packing and riding the terrain. We also just completed a little over 10,000 miles riding our V-strom on our trip to Alaska (which we did camping most of the way and sitting on the stock V-strom seat), so we have gained experience with multi-day travel/camping. This trip we are looking to get off the beaten path. I think it will be extremely challenging, but should prove to be a good time. Possibly thinking about breaking the trip into sections, just depends on work schedules at the time.

A little info on our bikes:

Both are 06' models with under 3k on the clock. So far the bikes are bone stock, and have worked quite well for us, although obviously lacking some grunt - we are patient though.

For aftermarket gas tanks we obviously want the most capacity, but also the cleanest fit - leaving all components fully functioning. I am thinking of sweet cheeks for the seat too. Truly, I don't know what else would be necessary to get the bikes ready. Still doing some research. Opinions on mods?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not afraid to do anything on my little bike. The TAT sounds awesome. I recently spoke to my cousin and he and his wife are going to do about 60% of it on their bikes. He has a big BMW adventure bike and she recently bought a Super Sherpa for the trip. Those 2 bikes are complete opposites in the power/comfort department...we'll see how that goes
I'd say go for it! Good luck on your trip.

Quick Reply: Trans American Trail (TAT) on a KLX250S - Who's done it?