Trans American Trail (TAT) on a KLX250S - Who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

There's a guy over on ADV that did the TAT on a KLX250S. Can't remember his username, but recall reading the RR. Lot's of people have done it on WR250R's. There's no reason at all why you couldn't to the TAT on your bike or any other 250cc bike.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I did a week on the KLX

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505792

Don't see why you could not do the TAT

Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TomN
I did a week on the KLX

Nice report. Those were some long days! I am hoping the sweet cheeks will take care of the seat issue for us.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TomN
I did a week on the KLX

How did I miss this report Tom? Nicely done!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

My riding buddy is on the TAT now, but hes on a DRZ.

http://transamericatrail2010.wordpre.../11/tat-day-6/

Old 07-08-2017, 06:42 AM

So what ever happened to that guy that wanted to ride the TAT on his KLX? He ever do it? I picked up a pretty heavily modified SF and was tentatively planning on riding the TAT next summer (probably around JUNE 2018). As it sits right now, the only things it could really use would be a larger capacity fuel tank - last I heard, imsproducts.com had a pretty good selection of aftermarket large-capacity fuel tanks - and a means to carry my crap. Where luggage is concerned, I figure my old, army-issue ALICE pack could carry a good bit of gear. Use that and a tank-bag and wraparound saddlebag from giantloopmoto.com. I figure I could fit in everything I needed for 2-3 weeks outside and could make do with that. Only real downside is the GLM setup that I have my eye on comes in at around $600. All of that, plus new tires, plus the TAT map set and I'm at around $1800 in stuff.

Honestly, I feel like it's doable. It'd suck in some places (Oklahoma in the rain, Colorado Rockies, etc.) but it definitely can be done. The 250 dual-sports are pretty light. So sinking, dumping, running out of gas, etc. shouldn't be too big of an issue. The light weight, small displacement engine, and the low speeds throughout the trail (there should be very few instances where the bike is going faster than 45mph) should equal out to a low fuel consumption while the relatively low gearing of the bike should mean minimal stress on the powertrain. With some minimalist camping gear (ponchos, bungee cords, Bivvy sack, and a sleeping bag - or maybe just a small tent), all you'd really need to worry about would be clothes, food, tools & equipment, and whatever other miscellaneous things you may want. At that point, the real question is how bad do things have to suck before you give up and go home?

The more I think about it though, the more I think that a truck wouldn't be so bad. Longer range between fill-ups, can be inside if it's really bad outside, but at the same time, it's a bit bigger of a deal if something breaks. Plus I feel like it wouldn't really be the "full experience" in a truck/SUV. Although if you asked me what the full experience is on the Trans-America Trail, I couldn't tell you one way or the other.

Anyways, I got way off subject here. Did the OP or any of the dudes commenting ever end up doing the TAT on a KLX250S/SF or similar 250 dual-sport? What was the experience? What'd you bring that you found unnecessary and what did you find yourself wishing you had? Any issues with the bikes? Still in the planning portion of my TAT trip so I figured I'd ask.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam_Winebarger
So what ever happened to that guy that wanted to ride the TAT on his KLX? He ever do it? I picked up a pretty heavily modified SF and was tentatively planning on riding the TAT next summer (probably around JUNE 2018). As it sits right now, the only things it could really use would be a larger capacity fuel tank - last I heard, imsproducts.com had a pretty good selection of aftermarket large-capacity fuel tanks - and a means to carry my crap. Where luggage is concerned, I figure my old, army-issue ALICE pack could carry a good bit of gear. Use that and a tank-bag and wraparound saddlebag from giantloopmoto.com. I figure I could fit in everything I needed for 2-3 weeks outside and could make do with that. Only real downside is the GLM setup that I have my eye on comes in at around $600. All of that, plus new tires, plus the TAT map set and I'm at around $1800 in stuff.

Honestly, I feel like it's doable. It'd suck in some places (Oklahoma in the rain, Colorado Rockies, etc.) but it definitely can be done. The 250 dual-sports are pretty light. So sinking, dumping, running out of gas, etc. shouldn't be too big of an issue. The light weight, small displacement engine, and the low speeds throughout the trail (there should be very few instances where the bike is going faster than 45mph) should equal out to a low fuel consumption while the relatively low gearing of the bike should mean minimal stress on the powertrain. With some minimalist camping gear (ponchos, bungee cords, Bivvy sack, and a sleeping bag - or maybe just a small tent), all you'd really need to worry about would be clothes, food, tools & equipment, and whatever other miscellaneous things you may want. At that point, the real question is how bad do things have to suck before you give up and go home?

The more I think about it though, the more I think that a truck wouldn't be so bad. Longer range between fill-ups, can be inside if it's really bad outside, but at the same time, it's a bit bigger of a deal if something breaks. Plus I feel like it wouldn't really be the "full experience" in a truck/SUV. Although if you asked me what the full experience is on the Trans-America Trail, I couldn't tell you one way or the other.

Anyways, I got way off subject here. Did the OP or any of the dudes commenting ever end up doing the TAT on a KLX250S/SF or similar 250 dual-sport? What was the experience? What'd you bring that you found unnecessary and what did you find yourself wishing you had? Any issues with the bikes? Still in the planning portion of my TAT trip so I figured I'd ask.
A buddy of mine did a good leg of it, Arkansas to Colorado on a KLR three years ago and the same route again a few weeks ago in a Suzuki SX4 car

In his opinion the biggest problem with a small dual sport was the tank size, as there were a few instances where even his 6 gallon KLR tank made him pretty nervous due to the distance between fuel stops.

I don't know how much time you are planning to set aside for the trip, but there are some LONG sections in Oklahoma where he was doing 50-60 mph for extended periods. He only had a week to get to his destination though so maybe he was just trying to make some time.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Not quite the same thing, but similar: I've ridden the entire Continental Great Divide Ride twice, once on a KLR650 and the second time on an XT225. Although the XT was somewhat easier in the rough sections, it was much more of a pain riding the asphalt sections. Granted the KLX250 is about 5mph faster than the XT, but still. I managed to limit camping gear, etc to 47lbs of stuff which I didn't think detracted from enjoying the ride no matter the speed.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam_Winebarger

I'm here!

So my wife and I did end up riding the TAT back in 2011... I did switch to a WR250r before the trip, but my wife rode her KLX250s. Her KLX did just fine... it did struggle a little bit at the highest elevations crossing the Rockies, but some of that could have been remedied with proper jetting I'm sure. Anyhow, here's a link to our ride report if you care to have a look: 2 Texans Ride the TAT... heading to San Francisco, CA | Adventure Rider

jordan

Old 07-10-2017, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

I really enjoyed the trip report, the pictures and the bike comparison. Lots of great information.

Quick Reply: Trans American Trail (TAT) on a KLX250S - Who's done it?