Trail Tech Vapor Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Lightbulb Trail Tech Vapor Wiring

Hello,

I am in the process of installing the Trail Tech Vapor on my klx250s
I have almost everything wired up.
There are 3 wires I still need to hook up Power to the unit, and tachometer, but I'm not sure to where.
2 of the 3 wires are in a pair.
the other wire is on it's own

Old 08-07-2018, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

You will need to hook the power to keyed ignition power. The Vapor uses very little power so you can use a add-a-circuit under the seat to an existing circuit .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Lumision-SHIPPING-CIRCUIT-ADAPTER-TERMINAL/dp/B00I0NI042&ved=2ahUKEwjE8I_l9dncAhUSnlkKHS1pBGQQFj ACegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2LsSmZ8YT3J8QSkmdg4AFG

The tach wire just gets wrapped around the outside of the sparkplug wire. Wrap it about 10 times and secure it with tape. It reads by picking up the induction.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:57 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

On the tach wire, that wrap method didn't work on my KLX...very inconsistent readings. However, I've had my Vapor on my KLX for so long I can't remember where I got the tach feed at the moment. I almost remember there being a factory wire for a tach feed, and I just hooked up to it and maybe put a ground on one of the coil mount poles at the frame. It's been a long time, and I'm not going out and tear into it to find out. When I didn't get a good signal on the spark plug wire wrap method, I did a Google search and that's when I found info on the tach wire that is contained in many wiring harnesses of lots of different bikes.

OP, the point is, if you don't get good results with the spark plug wire wrap, I believe there is another option, and it may actually provide a better signal. My KLX is an '06, so that may present a difference there also.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The power wires I went right to the battery with a 1 amp fuse as the directions suggested. There was a couple suggestions for the single tach wire. Wrapping the wire around the spark plug wire or the coil wire connection. Wrapping it around the spark plug wire as many times as I could, but it fluctuated as the instructions said it would so I unwrapped the wire three twists and it worked fine.

Last edited by RaceGass; 08-07-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
On the tach wire, that wrap method didn't work on my KLX...very inconsistent readings. However, I've had my Vapor on my KLX for so long I can't remember where I got the tach feed at the moment. I almost remember there being a factory wire for a tach feed, and I just hooked up to it and maybe put a ground on one of the coil mount poles at the frame. It's been a long time, and I'm not going out and tear into it to find out. When I didn't get a good signal on the spark plug wire wrap method, I did a Google search and that's when I found info on the tach wire that is contained in many wiring harnesses of lots of different bikes.

OP, the point is, if you don't get good results with the spark plug wire wrap, I believe there is another option, and it may actually provide a better signal. My KLX is an '06, so that may present a difference there also.
Yup. I think it was a brown wire.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I had crazy rpm fluctuations on my KDX with the Vapor. I had a non resistor spark plug in it. Swapped it out for a resistor plug and bingo.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Yup. I think it was a brown wire.
Now THATS what I'm looking for!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!

Now just power... hmm