Tough to start when accidentally turn off!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tough to start when accidentally turn off!

There is a weird thing with my motorcycle from the day one that can't still resolve. When it turns off accidentally, for example when Im at traffic lights and leave the clutch more than i should and turns off, then, it requires some time until it fire again. It never start immediately, never! It needs something like 10-20 seconds and then it can fire.wtf should I check?!
Klx250s 2009 efi

Old 11-10-2023, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Usually stalling at a stop ends up with a cylinder full of exhaust. Takes time to clean out to get good fuel mix in the engine. With the old kick start bikes, like the SR500, a rider would have to pull the manual compression release in and hold it while kicking through five or six times, then kick as normal. Used to happen to me on occasions with the SR. Having that happen with an e-start could be an issue. I've not noticed any problem with my carbed 250 in most cases of stalling, but it usually takes more cranking than normal. Multi cylinder bikes don't usually have much of an issue with only one cylinder usually getting the exhaust load. The others fire up and the fouled one follows suit rather quickly, clearing out and firing.

Old 11-11-2023, 08:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes but I don't think is a normal thing for klx. I have never heard any other owner to have similar issue. So I guess it's something wrong with mine.

Old 11-11-2023, 12:42 PM

I have had my '23 do just that, at a traffic light if I'm lazy, forget what gear I'm in and bum the clutch. I have 5-10 seconds to look embarrassed while i fight to restart the bike. More so when the bike is still not up to full operating temperature

Old 11-11-2023, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cycloholic
Yes but I don't think is a normal thing for klx. I have never heard any other owner to have similar issue. So I guess it's something wrong with mine.
When running, does it idle at 1,500 rpms? Maybe it's set too low. There's an adjustment **** on the throttlebody. You might try a higher idle speed. Restarting while in traffic is easier if you disable the clutch switch so you can start the engine while in gear with the clutch lever pulled.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
When running, does it idle at 1,500 rpms? Maybe it's set too low. There's an adjustment **** on the throttlebody. You might try a higher idle speed. Restarting while in traffic is easier if you disable the clutch switch so you can start the engine while in gear with the clutch lever pulled.
Yes, i have tried to experiment with higher and lower idle but nothing really changed. What's the idea about the lever switch? I mean, if I press the lever and I have a gear the switch open the circuit and starts(with the same delay of course) all though in general it starts easier when in neutral.
You mean it could be a delay from the switch?

Old 11-13-2023, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Cycloholic, going back thru your previous threads and posts - very odd reading.. Some of the more "interesting" tidbits: You've declared your bike to be a 2005, 2010, 2015 and now a 2009, and you've asked if it would be ok to remove the entire cooling system.

Nonetheless, it seems to be generally agreed that your bike is EFI. As such, we can remove carb issues from the "troubleshooting mix" of hot starting problems - leaving ignition ( which is the primary concern when cold starting is perfect but hot starting is not.)

Start by installing a brand new plug - make sure it is the correct heat range and is gapped perfectly.

Old 11-13-2023, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi, im not aware why you bother to acuse me for things that dont really matter, but maybe you need to read more carefully.
In one post i wrote its 2010 model and bought it 2005. A member asked how this is possible and i explain that it was a typo that i wrote 2005, i bought it in 2015.
Then about the confusion between 2009 and 2010, it is actually 2010 on papers but it looks more like 2009.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cycloholic
Yes, i have tried to experiment with higher and lower idle but nothing really changed. What's the idea about the lever switch? I mean, if I press the lever and I have a gear the switch open the circuit and starts(with the same delay of course) all though in general it starts easier when in neutral.
You mean it could be a delay from the switch?
It's just the switch on my 2021KLX SM that will not allow the engine to start when the transmission is in gear even if the clutch lever is pulled. I bridged the contacts so I can restart while in gear with the clutch lever pulled, without needing to find neutral first. Since your bike is a 2009, it might not have that restriction. I also bridged the kickstand switch. Your's also might not have that restriction.

Try this experiment:

Purposefully turn off a hot engine.
Turn the ignition back on and WAIT for about 20 seconds before trying to start.
Then see whether it starts right back up, or still has the same delay.
Let me know what happens.

I'm actually surprized Kawasaki had EFI KLX's in 2009. They were ahead of their time. My DRZ400SM had a carb like most all the other thumpers did back then.

Last edited by tooter; 11-13-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, its not as simple as just hot motor problem. If I turn it off from the switch and turn it on it fires immediately. But if I try to start and leave the clutch more and turns off then it's ****ed! So if I turn it off for 20sec it will fire no problem.

Quick Reply: Tough to start when accidentally turn off!