Todays' conversation with Bill Blue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Todays' conversation with Bill Blue

Long talk today with Bill. He is, as always, a fantastic person with a wealth of information.

Hi Lights:

- His Barker exhaust system, with its' unique design, could produce the highest power levels ever seen on a stockbore with a lidless airbox and lidless CVK setup.

- There is evidence that the Webcams 101 may not be worth the money. The 101's were not designed for use in a stockbore. They were designed for Larry Roeselers' stroked race bike. He has a set of custom cams created for him by Webcams that he has never tested. I or someone should buy these cams from him for a back-to-back Dyno test.

- Kawa may be bringing a new EFI KLX to Canada.. Can our Canucks confirm?

- CSC RX3: He has a BB kit done, fueling the BB RX3 with the RX3's EFI is still in development..

- He has the ability to take the Honda CRF250L to over 350cc's but it's expensive due to the specially made stroker crank. ( Yall see the new CRF250L Rally?)

- More as I remember...

Old 01-27-2017, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The Barker system was carefully developed for the KLX, it has a unique design, and produces +4.9 HP over stock. Bill was quite sure that, as usual, the +4.9 was with a lid and KDX snorkel on the airbox. The largest increases occur @ 6k and up - So, a lidless airbox and CVK setup would likely add a few hp on top of the +4.9 hp. Since the Barker dyno chart already shows 24.26 hp, this could result in a 25-26 hp stockbore!

Old 01-27-2017, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice report.
Did Bill say anything about the Barker on a 351?

Old 01-27-2017, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

IDRIDR: No, we didn't talk about that particular combo.. Since the 351 exits its' exhaust through the same Ex. valve and port as a stockbore, the Barker design should work its' magic.. I'm sure a purpose built 351 system would have a slightly larger header I.D. as the increased volume of gases would be better served - of course, not so large as to loose too much velocity/scavenging.. Yall call him..

For a long time now, I can't shake the feeling that his Barker system will create a whole new paradigm/standard of stockbore power levels. You see, all those charts of mine and Houstons4 allow us to easily compare the most common mod combos. My bike almost keeps up, in TRQ below 6.5k, to a stock header+non-MCM+lidless bike. THis implies that there would be a big loss in that area if I were to Un-MCM my bike - Meaning the Megabomb+PC4, on a stock bike, would see a large loss of TRQ below 6.5k compared to the stock header+slipon. The Barker system improves TRQ below 6.5k over the stock header AND should also beat the FMF system above. That's a game changer!

Old 01-27-2017, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

He was surprised to find out that our lidless setups are making more HP than a 351 kit on a stock KLX - of course the BB kit on any KLX will make +2 lb ft TRQ over any stockbore.. And that is a significant seat-o-pants difference..

Old 01-29-2017, 12:27 AM

When I talked to Bill the other day we also talked about porting the head. I wish I could remember how much of an increase it made... but maybe he didn't give me numbers. I just remember him saying that most people don't do it because it's expensive. He's got someone locally who does it for like $700 (don't quote me on that). I would love to see your setup with the Barker and porting. But that was regarding the 351 when I talked to him. Sounds like it was a good discussion. Thanks for sharing klxster!

Old 01-29-2017, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

He probably told you - but porting and cams are only for getting the last few HP out of his 351 Big Bore kit when you've done all the other performance mods - and those last few HP come with a very high price tag.

Also, the clutch must be upgraded once you get the 351 uncorked with a TM-36, open airbox, and full exhaust system. These engines will produce 28+ hp and sooner or later, with "spirited" riding, the stock clutch will begin to slip.

While I certainly rejoice with anyone that creates a 34hp 351 KLX, that money ($2500+) in addition to the selling price of a good KLX250 could buy a nice used KTM EXC - which has waay more power and capability than a KLX will ever have.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:20 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

anything special that bill does to the barker or is just the same as on the barker site?

https://barkersexhaust.com/collectio...exhaust-system

wonder how this compares to the fourstroke works system?

Old 02-02-2017, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

They are the same - buy through Bill for a price break..

No comparison with the FSW system.. The Barker midpipe alone is a big departure - it's a straight section megaphone. The header must be sized in a special way as well because it produces a TRQ increase over the stock header below 6.5K. You can see the header has what appears to be a "step up" in size at about the midpoint. I am thinking that it'll make better power curves, with a lidless setup, than we've ever seen before..

The only tuner I know of that mentioned he was running a "megaphone" type midpipe was Richard Avatar. He said he was constantly getting power wheelies on the 1-2 shift ! His bike was non-MCM+lidless setup..

Last edited by Klxster; 02-02-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:48 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

interesting. thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Todays' conversation with Bill Blue