TM36-68 carb question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

So I finally got around to installing the carb a couple weeks ago. Been struggling with this thing, and am hoping to please get some advice....

After researching some threads I have installed:
127 main
15 pilot (also bought a 17.5)
568-P4 Needle jet
9EBY01-50 Jet needle
2nd notch from top

Im close to sea level

First of all I cannot get the bike to idle with any stability. It will jump all around from 1200 rpm up to 2200+ randomly on its own. Then maybe stall.
Giving throttle results in pops and backfires.
I have not taken it out of the garage yet.
I have adjusted the pumper to what I have read and the nozzle is pointed correctly.
I have played around with the PMS from 1-1/2 to 3 turns out.
Bike gets pretty hot, with the fan turning on, which was pretty rare in the past even on hot summer days.

I also just plugged off my emissions- Air box & hose from engine.

As it is a struggle to get the boots fitted correctly I am suspecting maybe an air leak?
Too lean a condition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Old 03-12-2017, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't recall what my jetting and needle was but when I get a chance I'll look it up. You are definitely running lean. What air filter are you using? Be careful when you turn in your pilot air jet. When I first bought my carb I couldn't get it to idle and found out that I had turned in the pilot air jet needle to tight and the tip broke off plugging the jet. I couldn't get the tip out and ended up buying a new carb .

Old 03-12-2017, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

This is what I have in my TM 36-68 installed on KLX300:

Main Jet 130
Pilot jet 15
Needle Jet 568-P8
Needle 9DZK6-50
Clip in middle slot
Float Height 20mm at highest point.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 03-12-2017, 06:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cachnutz
So I finally got around to installing the carb a couple weeks ago. Been struggling with this thing, and am hoping to please get some advice....

After researching some threads I have installed:
127 main
15 pilot (also bought a 17.5)
568-P4 Needle jet
9EBY01-50 Jet needle
2nd notch from top

Im close to sea level

First of all I cannot get the bike to idle with any stability. It will jump all around from 1200 rpm up to 2200+ randomly on its own. Then maybe stall.
Giving throttle results in pops and backfires.
I have not taken it out of the garage yet.
I have adjusted the pumper to what I have read and the nozzle is pointed correctly.
I have played around with the PMS from 1-1/2 to 3 turns out.
Bike gets pretty hot, with the fan turning on, which was pretty rare in the past even on hot summer days.

I also just plugged off my emissions- Air box & hose from engine.

As it is a struggle to get the boots fitted correctly I am suspecting maybe an air leak?
Too lean a condition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
When I put the TM on my bike, I checked all of the settings on the carb(float level, throttle adjustment and squirter alignment-all of them were out of spec. Before you start chasing your tail with jetting make sure the baseline adjustments are correct-they probably aren't out of the box.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:49 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I didn't get really clean, crisp idle and initial throttle response with the stock air idle jet...1.0. After going to a 0.9 size along with my 17.5 pilot jet, it's been very smooth and responsive. I do have an OEM 300 KLX cylinder on mine, so compare accordingly.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

So I finally got a chance to take her for a rip today.
I adjusted the float to within spec
I changed the pilot jet to 17.5
Turned the air/fuel mixture screw in to richin up- its probably at 1.75 from seated
Seems to run a bit better
The idle adjustment screw is very finicky, not sure why...

So it still runs like crap at idle and to about 1/8 throttle - I will look into the .9 air idle jet - thanks TNC ( having trouble finding where to buy...)
Still has the pops after bliping the throttle - I will re-seal my header connection in hopes to help this, as it always did have a decel pop with the stock carb

Everything after idle and 1/8 throttle brings a smile to my face, lifting the front tire with ease makes this all worth it I hope.

question - how critical is it to have the carb/float vertical? Mine is off center to make it fit. I noticed that when I lean the bike it either direction, the rpms change??
Any other words of wisdom?
I really appreciate everyones help.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

The pilot air system operates in the low rpm range. I went from Bill's 37.5 to a 32.5 on my TM33 to get it to run right. And a main jet of 140 to 130. Of course i am at 3300' on up.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cachnutz
So I finally got a chance to take her for a rip today.
I adjusted the float to within spec
I changed the pilot jet to 17.5
Turned the air/fuel mixture screw in to richin up- its probably at 1.75 from seated
Seems to run a bit better
The idle adjustment screw is very finicky, not sure why...

So it still runs like crap at idle and to about 1/8 throttle - I will look into the .9 air idle jet - thanks TNC ( having trouble finding where to buy...)
Still has the pops after bliping the throttle - I will re-seal my header connection in hopes to help this, as it always did have a decel pop with the stock carb

Everything after idle and 1/8 throttle brings a smile to my face, lifting the front tire with ease makes this all worth it I hope.

question - how critical is it to have the carb/float vertical? Mine is off center to make it fit. I noticed that when I lean the bike it either direction, the rpms change??
Any other words of wisdom?
I really appreciate everyones help.
Float/fuel level is important, and it's harder to figure out on the TM vs. the OEM carb since the OEM carb had an easy way to check actual fuel level with a clear hose and the drain spigot on the float bowl. I think IDRIDR actually tapped his brass drain plug on his TM to make a drain spigot so he could check fuel level. I haven't gone that far as I've been able to get good fuel level with just float height adjustments, though it did take a couple of tweaks within the minimum/maximum measurement in the instructions.

On the angle of the carb and float, few carbs actually sit in a perfectly flat alignment to the intake manifold. You just do the best you can on the TM. I'm guessing you're commenting on the interference of the TM's big, brass drain plug with the starter motor. I marked that location on my drain plug with a Sharpie and then ground a fair amount down on a bench grinder to give more clearance. That drain plug is thick, but obviously don't go too crazy. You don't want that drain plug to touch the starter motor

On the TM float adjustment itself, you'll notice the float doesn't really sit in the nice flat profile they show in the manual. You just use the highest point of the float for reference, and in my case I used pretty close to the tallest measurement...just about 21mm. When I used 19mm I would get a little overflow dribble in some cases depending on how the bike was sitting on the sidestand...probably due to the carb angle on this bike. Your situation may vary.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I marked that location on my drain plug with a Sharpie and then ground a fair amount down on a bench grinder to give more clearance. That drain plug is thick, but obviously don't go too crazy. You don't want that drain plug to touch the starter motor
You can buy a shallow drain plug for the carb to replace the long one. I believe that I got mine from CPW. Works fine and no interference with starter.
I got impatient with working out the off-idle jetting and have the stock carb on currently but intend to give it another go this summer.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Everyone,
So an update to this old thread... Should have took Ruggybuggy's advice...looks like I probably broke the fuel mixture screw tip off on day one I guess, but thought there's no way I'm that stupid and carried on chasing my tail. Stupid me
Took a bit to get the tip dislodged, installed a new one.
Also installed a .9 air jet, thanks TNC
By this time my battery was on the way out from trying to start this bitch, so I hooked it up to my truck and it fired up to my delight.
Idled great, everything near perfect, rode it all day long with a big smile!!

Next day, wouldnt start. WTF

Just installed new battery, emptied the tank and carb,, fresh new fuel. Still cant cant this bugger to start!!!! Even got my garage up to 15 deg C today hoping that would help. I have good spark, but plug looked dark and oily after trying to start. Too rich? turn in the fuel screw?(turn in to lean, correct?) Go down a size on the pilot?
I dont get it, I'm ready to go back to a stock carb, but I know this thing kicks *** over stock.
What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited by Cachnutz; 01-07-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: TM36-68 carb question