Tire Tools

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tire Tools

OK,

The stock Dunlops will be toast in another couple of hundred miles. Tons of info & opines here on tires and tubes to help me decide which way to go.

My question regards the tools needed. Outgrew the screwdriver approach long ago and realize the right tools can make the job a snap. Question is, which ones. There are a bewildering array of tire spoons on the market. 8", 8.5", 10" and on and on. Makes sense that a longer spoon will provide more leverage but really don't want to keep two sets (one for the home shop and one for a road kit. Will do it if necessary but must have a portable set - sooner or later I'll have a flat out in the boonies and will want the right tools on hand. Or maybe I'll just ride with Neil and use his....LOL

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also would like opinions as to bead buddies and rim protectors. Worth the cost and useful or just another toolbox farkle.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

The smaller ones for your road kit are all you really need. At least get them first if $$ is tight. I used screwdrivers to change mine but the risk goes way up for pinching a tube and scratching a rim with screwdrivers.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Get good tools. The cheaper tire tools tend to bend and flex. Motion Pro were the best I found in the USA and were only a few dollars more then the cheaper inferior levers. If you change a tire with the short levers, you're a better man then I. At home, I have an 18 inch prybar that I use to break the bead over the rim initially. Leverage is nice!

The Moton Pro bead buddy is nice to have but, not required.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Longer ones are fine but I really recommend 3 it makes it easier to walk your way around the rim. I pull the valve out and just walk around the bead to brake it. Remember if you working to hard and forcing it your doing it wrong.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
Longer ones are fine but I really recommend 3 it makes it easier to walk your way around the rim. I pull the valve out and just walk around the bead to brake it. Remember if you working to hard and forcing it your doing it wrong.
He knows what he speaks. 2.5 years ago I had never changed a motorcycle tire in my life...always paid for it when I was a kid. Now I can change a tire in 90 degree heat out in a sugar sand pit and not curse or break out in a sweat...well maybe a little sweat but no cursing.

My trail tool kit, which I carry at all times
3 - 7 3/4" tire irons....you do not need bigger, if you do you are doing it wrong
Oh don't be cheap on the tire irons, get nice smooth spooned ones, mine were $15 each about.
No, bead breaker or bead holder....but a holder seems like a nice idea.
Patches with glue and roughening thing
Valve stem tool and spare valve stems
Nice bicycle air pump

Thats it, and that kit also works just fine on my ktm 640 with the bigger rear tire.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
+1 There is almost no leverage required if you are doing it right. Just get the tire into the groove at the center if the rim and it's cake.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you guys carrying 2 tubes one for the front and one for the rear? Do you carry all this stuff in a backpack? Thanks

Old 09-22-2008, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Shorter trail levers are good as you can slip them under the disc to hold them in place while putting the next one in. You can always slide a ring spanner over the top for the extra leverage.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I only carry the front can be used in either one for emergencies.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking a front only, might work.

Quick Reply: Tire Tools