Time for a new battery.... Input?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Time for a new battery.... Input?

OEM is on its last legs, and doesn't have the ***** to handle the 351.

SO....was looking at the Lithium (Shorai, wps or earthx), and have heard a lot of contradiction in opinions... Local dealer here said they WILL NOT work when it's cold out, and of the last 10 he has sold, 7 had problems...he didn't mention a brand tho

Also would not rather fork out 200 bones for a battery and charger...

Can anyone suggest something better than OEM, which is standard 100cca? Anything in between the 150$ lithium and the 60$ OEM would be nice, that has higher cca and I can use my existing charger.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I've heard that with Lithium batteries, when it's cold, to turn on the headlight etc. for a minute - the electricity flow warms up the battery. From Shorai:
A. Down to about 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40F/5C, 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0F/-17C, leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life. If the engine fails to start on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger. Other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc... Insuring that the battery is fully charged after storage also improves first-start performance in cold weather.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I've used them in the past on bikes and cars. For a bike, cold weather is not an issue. I was using a tiny (bike sized) unit in a small car with 12-1 compression into freezing weather and never had an issue. Of the three that I had, one died on me, and I killed the other two myself. If you do stupid things like leaving the lights or ignition on like I do, there is no margin of error. You will destroy it. If not, you should be fine. There's no reason to think you will need a charger.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I've used Moto Batt if you like sealed AGM batteries. I have one in my klx351 and my klr250 right now. The klx uses MBTX7U and I've been happy with it.

MBTX7U

Old 12-11-2015, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I have a shorai

Originally Posted by rgmr250
I've heard that with Lithium batteries, when it's cold, to turn on the headlight etc. for a minute - the electricity flow warms up the battery. From Shorai:
A. Down to about 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40F/5C, 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0F/-17C, leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life. If the engine fails to start on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger. Other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc... Insuring that the battery is fully charged after storage also improves first-start performance in cold weather.
I have had my Battery for 4yrs with no tender on it and it starts first or second crank every time
I'm glad I bought it but if you way it out you can buy 2-3 batteries for that little guy.. I got it for more of a ... Let's see what happens n if it will outlast the rest.. So far so good.. It is nice n small comes with foam to take up the space.. If you have the $$$ I would say get the shoari

Last edited by azdeuce; 12-11-2015 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Add more
Old 12-11-2015, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I have had a shorai for a few years. no problems. The reason i got it was the stock battery ( couple years old) wasn't handling the 351 when the bike was cold. you had about one try to get it started with the stock battery. I think the Shorai was $140 when i bought it. Hated to do it but have been very pleased with it. The weight savings was just a bonus. It's crazy how light they are.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 for the Shorai. Mine has been reliable on the KLX down to 0F/-17C (without wind).

Story time: I keep my KLX in a shed. One winter day, the overnight low was -18C. I geared-up and began the starting procedure: turn-on headlights and grip-warmers (and heated gloves!), wait a few minutes, then start bike. I rode to work and parked on the street. The daytime high was -15C. Well about 2 hours later I decide to leave. It was brutally windy (and cold). The bike just would not start. I cranked it until it wouldn't crank any more The wind chill had rendered the bike un-startable. Even with a booster-pack, the KLX would not start.

I had to take an Uber home, then return later with my truck.

So it would seem the engine will quit before the Shorai will.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Shorai from EBay a year ago, first replacement on my 07. It will crank the engine like nothing I have seen to be so small and lightweight and I have never had to put the battery on a charger. I only get to ride once every two weeks or so but am now in FL so I have no cold temps here.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anti Grav

I've had the anti grav 4 cell battery on mine for about a year now and i have had zero issues. Its so much lighter and smaller. I love it.

Attached Thumbnails Time for a new battery.... Input?-antigrav.jpg  
Old 12-23-2015, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

So, decided on and ordered the Earthx ETX12A.... Slightly more expensive than the Shorai, but has lots of on board circuit protection, which from my RC lipo days, is important.... If these things go thermal, it's a very bad day...

ETX12A EarthX lithium battery

Plus you can use a regular charger, because of the onboard stuff... Saves getting an expensive second charger..

Anyways, thanks for the replies!

Merry Christmas everyone!