Throttle Sticks In Right Turn?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Throttle Sticks In Right Turn?

Hey guys, after I changed my grips I noticed that with the bike sitting still and with the bars turned to the right almost fully the throttle will sorta stick in whatever position I move it to. Is that caused by cables being too tight or what? Turning full left to center to slightly off right the throttle moves freely.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:01 AM
Default RE: Throttle Sticks In Right Turn?

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

Hey guys, after I changed my grips I noticed that with the bike sitting still and with the bars turned to the right almost fully the throttle will sorta stick in whatever position I move it to. Is that caused by cables being too tight or what? Turning full left to center to slightly off right the throttle moves freely.
Yeah, sortof... I've heard about this happening if you don't have the throttle cable routed correctly, or if it's catching or binding on something. Sticking in whatever position you move it to says it's getting pinched somewhere to me.. so follow the cable all the way down and see if you can find where it's pinching.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:06 AM

I had some problems with throttle stick after changing my bars/grips. All I did was loosen the throttle screws a little bit. Apparently I had torqued them down too much, and put a bind on the throttle tube. Sometimes a simple bind in the throttle cable can also cause problems.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I found out something interesting, My throttle was never the kind that would snap back like all other new bikes I have seen, when I put on my Acerbis hand guards a month or so ago, I discovered that one of the cables that went around, (and for lack of a better word,) the curved white thingy inside the throttle doohickey, was not in the groove, so when I got done with the hand guard install and lubed up the cables and made sure that both cables were indeed in each grove, the throttle snaps back like a race bike now, I am really glad I figured this thing out.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yes, what Deej said... Also, don't tighten those philips screws on the throttle housing too much!
I over tightened them and it made the throttle tube stick. Just snug em up and dat's it.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I neglected to follow the instructions when I set the throttle free play. I set it with the bars straight, I reset it in my girlfriend's driveway with the bars at full lock right and all is well, nice snappy throttle response.....from the grip that is. I cranked the housing screws down as they were so farkin tight when I took them off before I figured that's where they should be but no problems there.