There Must Be a Severe Grease Shortage!

Old 05-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Default There Must Be a Severe Grease Shortage!

I do not know where the KLX250S is assembled, but I'll say this: "There must be a severe shortage of grease there!"

Why do I say that? Well, let's see, the swingarm bearing was dry. The shock linkage was dry. Today I removed the rear wheel to install a 13 tooth sprocket - the wheel bearings and axle were dry.

I'm assuming that the steering head bearings are also the same - dry!

Might want to invest in a tube of molydisulfide grease and spend a day, disassemble the bike, grease it up and then re-assemble. It will save you a lot of trouble later on when you have to work on the bike!

Old 05-04-2006, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: There Must Be a Severe Grease Shortage!

I've noticed the same thing. I assume the dealer should have done this for prep? Anyone buying a new one should make sure the dealer lubes everything before you take it out the door. Especially if they're charging a prep fee.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 PM

I think that is something that is done during assembly in the factory. My KLR650 was like that when I bought it. Now I find the KLX is quite similar. Thus far I've taken the rear of the bike apart - all linkages, swingarm, rear tire, etc and lubed it all with some decent molydisulfide based grease. Next up is the steering head bearings and the rest of the front of the bike. I'm sure they're about as dry as the rest of the bike.

The dealer does not take the bike apart.

Pay for assembly ? ? ? ? ?

I have found through the years that a fair price - not a good price mind you - is MSRP with tax and NO OTHER added on costs. The dealers are paid from the manufacturer to do the uncrating, assembly and other things that some dealers like to tack on the price of the bike.

If a dealer even mentions the word - additional charges, I simply get up and take a walk. Most times you will be intercepted before you get to the door.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Had the same lack of grease issues with my Suzuki LTZ400 sport quad.

As far as price, I got mine across the MD line in WV for $4,250. NO OTHER CHARGES WHATSOEVER. Brought it back to MD and paid Tax, Tag, and Title/Registration fees (~350). So I'll agree that MSRP is a fair price, but it CAN be beat. With Tax, Tag, and Title I didn't even pay MSRP.........but I did have to drive 90 minutes each way to pic it up. Local MD dealers just would not deal much, and by the time they added freight and assembly, it was over MSRP....

Old 05-05-2006, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Your all crazy!!! Most poeple know that jap bikes are put together with invisible grease. [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 05-05-2006, 06:05 AM

DO you need any special tool to tear all the bearings apart to grease them? This is something I haven't done before. Are these actual ball bearings wiht no grease? OR are they actually bushings where grease is optional. I guess grease is overated. I'm sure many people ride these bikes this way for years without any problems.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I would have thought that, but on my Z400, the dry bearings were wearing bad and unevenly where they shouldn't have been at all. I will admit, they had been dunked in muck many times before I tore them apart and there was evidence that some of that had got in there.........

Old 12-19-2006, 08:22 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

DO you need any special tool to tear all the bearings apart to grease them?
30mm socket

Old 12-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I recall someone saying that the wheel axle bearings dont require that much grease... anyone else? im gonna be putting my tires on soon, they should be here on friday, and when i do that ill at least do the axle bearings then.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:46 AM

i'm pretty sure the wheel bearings are sealed, which means you can't actually grease inside them. the swingarm bearings and shock linkage is different, if you take it apart you will see all the needle bearings that are able to be greased.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: There Must Be a Severe Grease Shortage!