swap Ninja 250R wheels to KLX250SF, research needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason the motard has spoked wheels is because they hold up better to impacts, such as from jumps curbs dropping wheelies etc. An alloy wheel is heavier (I think once again correct me) and is more prone to breakage.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Very interested in this.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason the motard has spoked wheels is because they hold up better to impacts, such as from jumps curbs dropping wheelies etc. An alloy wheel is heavier (I think once again correct me) and is more prone to breakage.
find me a klx250sf wheelset and ill agree with you. its way easier and cheaper to find ninja wheels.. also, people go 200+ mph on a bike 4 times the weight of mine and they seem to trust alloy. ill take my chances.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by eyyopomps
find me a klx250sf wheelset and ill agree with you. its way easier and cheaper to find ninja wheels.. also, people go 200+ mph on a bike 4 times the weight of mine and they seem to trust alloy. ill take my chances.
But they arn't jumping it off dirt hills like a supermoto would...If all you do is ride street why didn't you just go buy a ninja? Even a supermoto is still a dual sport machine which is why they come with spoked wheels.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
But they arn't jumping it off dirt hills like a supermoto would...If all you do is ride street why didn't you just go buy a ninja? Even a supermoto is still a dual sport machine which is why they come with spoked wheels.
Dude, take it easy. He is not asking what bike he needs or what a supermoto does. He is asking a specific question on whether a particular wheelset would work. A question that a lot of us are interested in.

So how about sitting tight and letting others who might know something contribute?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Dude, take it easy. He is not asking what bike he needs or what a supermoto does. He is asking a specific question on whether a particular wheelset would work. A question that a lot of us are interested in.

So how about sitting tight and letting others who might know something contribute?
I was just asking a simple question, no need to get worked up. Why would you buy a ds and put alloy wheels on it? If it were motard specific wheels I'd understand, but not from a sport bike. Sure it will work, but do we know for sure they won't fail doing hardcore stuff they weren't designed to do? I'm just playing devils advocate. people take everything so seriously.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by xxaarraa

thread is 3 years old
little to late to wait any longer

guessing its never been done yet

Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
thread is 3 years old
little to late to wait any longer

guessing its never been done yet
It has on supermotojunkie, aside from looks, its best to stay with the spoked wheels.