General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Research paper due, need opinions on riders

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Default Research paper due, need opinions on riders

Alright so I have to write a research paper about a subculture for my english class. I figured i'd do something interesting and so i'm writing about the subculture of sportbike riders.This was due yesterday and I'm just starting the research, so it would be great if i could get a lot of replies in a little ammount of time. I just havea couplequestions that I'd like you guys to answer:

1. Define the average sportbike rider.

2. How do you think the public views those riders?

3. What are your thoughts on how riders are viewed?

I know there are some opinionated people on here and that's just what i need. Have at it, thanks for helping me out!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Research paper due, need opinions on riders

1. Most sportbike riders (in my opinion) are males between 20 and 40 years old. Many of us like the adrenaline rush, but I think it is more often a therapy method because of the focus necessary.

2. I do not think that the public really has an opinion about sport bike riders. Older people tend to think that they souns annoying, but they are just grumpy people anyway. Most people I know that complain about speed or stunting sound like they are not really against it, they just feel like it is appropriate to condemn the behavior. Many people think that riding a motorcycle is the most dangerous thng in the world, they usually know more people that have died in car accidents id you ask them.

3. I don't know, I like to gear up, but if other people don't it doesn't bother me, their choice...plain and simple, we live in America. I like to go fast sometimes, but not always. I think that whatever we do someone will complain, not putting other people in danger should be our top priority. I know some immature riders whohave trouble distinguishing when the appropriate time is to do certain things, that is the worst kind of rider to ride with.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:46 PM

Thanks rick for breaking the ice. Anyone going to follow that up with their own thoughts? I still need more opinions! Specifically how you think that the public preceives riders, and your thoughts on how/why riders are viewed that way. Thanks guys!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

man - i typed up this big response and then the forum crashed. i'll type it up again later.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

1. Define the average sportbike rider.

age 18-40, mostly male. Rides for the sake of enjoying it. May have started riding due to relative low cost of transportation or due to fuel costs, may also have started riding do to adventurous nature /adrenaline.

2. How do you think the public views those riders?

Most of the public is one of two schools of though from my experience.

A: they understand the draw of motorcycles for enjoyment, theraputic nature, or economy. They either used to ride, currently ride, or wish they could ride. Those that don't ride do so because: they can't afford a bike, their significant other won't let them, they are scared of wrecking, they are scared of dieing and leaving behind their family, or they physicly can't.

B: they see the ocassion wreckless rider stunting in traffic or fizzing past them at triple digits and automaticly infer those characteristics to all sportbike riders, or they grew up with their parents saying these prejudice generalizations to them and believe it. They beleive that sportbikes are dangerous, and sportbikers are wreckless, careless, and not people to associate with.

3. What are your thoughts on how riders are viewed?

Personally i avoided riding in my teen years because my parents wouldn't let me. My dad had a motorcycle for a while but was made to give it up when my oldest sibling was born. When i was out on my own i avoided it because i knew i would do something stupid and kill myself. I finally did start because i was gettign out of sportscars and felt i was mature enough to handle riding responsibly. I then started riding daily because of fuel prices and discovered that suddenly even the commute to work was relaxing. i no longer cared if traffic was a little slow, i was just enjoying the ride.

IMO the prejudice against sport bikers is simply a combination of ignorance and a few bad apples.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

But dont forget the squid's outlook:

We will continue to thrash our bikes until we can master good wheelies because we know that dad will buy us a new bike.
We will continue to ride in shorts and tank shirts because we are young and cannot die.
We are cute, thusly irresistable to all young girls.
We like getting tickets and losing our license before we get them.
We hate cops so therefore we can run from them every time they try to pull us over.
Bikes are for showing off on and tearing up, show no respect for your bike.
We can outrun any bike in the world on our YZF 600's
We stretch our bikes out so they wont corner worth a crap, bikesdont need to corner do they?
We only ride on main street because we know that everybody wants to look at us.
We idolize the stunters and will continue to watch them on DVD until we can learn to do that.
We ride barefooted because it is easier to get shifter feedback.
We know that neon lighting makes your bike at least 15 Mph faster through the 1/4 mile.
We know that cheap chinese tires are as good as pirelles cause we dont do twisties.
We like our pipes really loud so the cops never have to guess where we are when they are chasing us.
We will continue riding our young girlfriends two up with us because there are too many women in this world as it is.
Brakes work better when they are running metal to metal, and the sparks are so cool!
We like pink, cause we are borderline bi sexuals with bikes.
We are young so we dont have to have good judgement and reasoning.
We ride like hell now because when we get thirty years old, we'll allbe in wheel chairs.
We buy our bikes based on what our best friend rides.
If the Hells Angels rode sport bikes, they would be like us?
When the chain comes off and locks the rear wheel up, it is time to take it to the shop, as long as dad will pay for it.........Where is the chain located?

We are biker boys and we are legends!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:49 AM

i love that whole thing. even though im 19 myself. i hate the image that kids my age give a kid like me who is trying to learn to ride carefully and respectably. Friends and family are all scared for my life because they each know stories of 19 year old buying 1000s and thinking they are indestructible and dieing when taking a turn too fast. I know its horrible and they where all young but not all of us are like that. i have a passion for motorcycle but im scared ****less of them. I want to learn to ride and respect them, i just hate kids out there just spoil riders images soo bad.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 AM

True. My family hated the idea of me getting a bike because they know people or have heard of people dying in accidents:
Their close friend died falling asleep on the highway.
Another friend was unable to make a turn with his harley and is now in Albany Med.
A friend's son died doing a wheelie 120+ down the highway.
My cousin is a dumbass and has laid his bike down more times than he has fingers.
one of my friends has wrecked his bike twice already.

With people though, they tend to remember all of the negatives that happen. They don't remember seeing thousands of bikers just ride by; they remember the loud pipes, fast speeds, etc. etc.

Everyone thanks for the feedback. The final gets submitted tuesday, and i have a presentation on it thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

good luck on the presentation.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks everyone who contributed some knowledge. I'm happy to say that got a 94 on the paper itself, but the grade for the presentation hasn't been posted yet.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Research paper due, need opinions on riders