Suspension springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 AM
1st Gear Member

That is just not right.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I fell down last fall and ended up owing the hospital $16,200 just for renting the surgical room for an hour and the bed over night. That didn't include the doctors, nurses, pills, jello, I.V. pain med dispenser with the little green button, **** jug, etc. That bill was separate. That bill was only $5,600. That done learned me good about the importance of health insurance. I didn't have any at the time. I'm giving them $20/month until the end of time. I have a new job with real health insurance now.

Anyway, Motopro needs to set up their website so a person can just look up what they need and order it over the internet. Even when I am home during business hours, I can't get through to them.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I just put a 140/80 tire and a stiffer rear spring on today. Did not get to ride more than about 20 miles but its a totaly different bike. sits taller and sags less. I did not have any clearence issues with the new spring but I will say I dont think I could go any larger witht the tire.
Wish I would have installed the spring when I got it instead of waiting till I was changing out the tire. I have the fronts and will do them probably next weekend.
I will give my +1 to motopro on customer service.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

When I start riding the KLX off-roading again. I may reconsider the springs. Till then, I got to stay within a set budget. And from other member reviews, MotoPro sounds like the place to buy from.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't want to a post topic hog. So I will just re-use the closest topic that I have created recently.

I just finished changing out the fork seals, front brake pads, and new tires. After doing the forks, I gotta say that it was a really easy job. I thought it would take much more effort. But with the right tools, the job is a cinch. And after doing the fork, I now know how easy it will be to change the springs later, if when I wanted to.

Step 1:
Name:  05-08-10_0728.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  112.6 KB
Prepare the KLX and lift it off the ground.

Step 2:
Name:  05-08-10_0746.jpg
Size:  84.7 KB
Remove the wheels.

Step3:
Name:  05-08-10_1035.jpg
Size:  99.0 KB
Remove the fork tubes. But before removing them competely, remove the handlebar and loosen the fork tube cap.

Step 4:
Name:  05-08-10_0900.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  128.0 KB
Disassemble the fork tube. The picture shows it already disassembled. So in this order, un-screw the fork tube. Slide outer tube down. Take a 17mm open wrench to the nut on damper shaft and un-screw the tube cap from the damper shaft. Then remove the spring. Tilt the fork tube down to pour out the fork oil. Push in and out on the damper shaft 10 times to help remove all the oil. Take a small straight slot screw driver and pry the dust seal away from the outer tube. Take a small straight slot screw driver and pry out the clip on the inside of the tube. Lastly, take the outer tube and slide it upwards till the oil seal pops out. Be careful, it will be a sudden seperation.

Step 5:
Name:  05-08-10_0907.jpg
Size:  71.7 KB
Place new parts on the inner in this order. Dust Seal, Oil Seal, Washer, Spacer, and the bushing.

Step 6:
Name:  05-08-10_0910.jpg
Size:  80.0 KB
Use a seal driver to impact the oil seal into its seat. Then re-intall the clip.

Step 7:
Fully compress the tube and fill the tube with fork oil up to the two holes on the inner tube inside. Using a damper shaft extender, push the damper shaft up and down 5 time. Then let it sit for 5 minutes for the air bubbles to be released. Using a fork oil measurer, set the tube depth to 95mm and slowly remove execisive oil from the tube.

Step 8:
Name:  05-08-10_1104.jpg
Size:  94.7 KB
Time to re-install the spring. Using a damper shaft extending tool to help make this a little more easy.

Step 9:
Name:  05-08-10_1105.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  99.7 KB
Slide the spring back in the tube.

Step 10:
Name:  05-08-10_1106.jpg
Size:  87.6 KB
Slide the spring holder tool into place and start the screw treads on to the tube cap.

Step 11:
Name:  05-08-10_1107.jpg
Size:  87.1 KB
Gently tighten the cap back on to the damper shaft.

Step 12:
Reinstall the fork tube back into the triple clamp. Make sure you align the marks left on the tubes. Tighten the clamps, and then tighten the tube cap, and then re-install the handle bars.

After everything is completed. It should look like a motorcycle again. Like this:
Name:  05-08-10_1431.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  108.1 KB

After the test drive, the KLX definitely feels like a different machine. I changed the fork oil from the OEM 5wt to 10wt. Which should help dampen the forks better and slowed down the nose diving on braking. With new tires, the balance is not the same. I think the front tire has a heavy spot and feel to lump on the road. Then again that could be from the change of fork oil that maybe now that I'm feeling more of the road. I will give 200 miles to see any changes. If no changes, I take the front tire off to be balanced to see if that does help.

I'm a bit tired. Changing tires still take some arm muscle to remove them. But it was made easier after I got a set of tire irons and watching that tire removal tip video.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Great write up LearJet!!!! Nice job with the pics, that will help someone out down the road.
I think you should re-post that write up in it's own thread, and title it something like "fork seal replacement". It's a nice write up, but it won't help anybody if they cant find it. A year from now if somebody does a search for fork seal replacement here on KF, I don't think this thread will show up in the results.
Dan

Old 05-09-2010, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I should have just posted a new topic. One thing I should have done is taken more photos.

Right now, I'm still trying to solve this lump feeling I'm getting in the front suspension. Its either the tire, the fork oil, or maybe I screwed up somewhere. The forks have a intial stickyness to them, which could be the new seals. The lumpness is not bad, just something that I didn't expect to get when done. Maybe I'm just paranoid about it and it will soften out as I ride.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Perhaps Deej could edit out your post and stick it in the faqs thread. there are lots of good how to post in here but they are hard to find.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Perhaps Deej could edit out your post and stick it in the faqs thread. there are lots of good how to post in here but they are hard to find.
+1 on the hard to find stuff.
I always try to think of that when I put something up that might help someone out down the road. Instead of labeling the tread "look what I did today" I title it with specific details like "fork guard replacement" etc.

Hope you get the weird feel sorted out there Learjet.
Dan

Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I have already re-posted a new topic with the title of "Fork Oil Seal Replacement". Re-edit some of my wording and added photos of the tools that I used.

I hope I can get that weird feeling gone too. I won't get much chance to ride this week with all the rain in the forecast. So I will definitely have time to fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Suspension springs