Suspension springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Suspension springs

This run around on trying to find springs for the KLX is giving me a headache. I found some companies that do make them (Moto-Pro, Progressive Suspension, and RaceTech). I have managed to at least get an idea of spring rate needed for my weight (.43~.48 kg/mm, compared to stock .37 kg/mm). At best, I'm thinking of not doing the rear spring and just do the forks. But then there is the option of choosing progressive or linear rate spings.

Kudos to Moose Racing for making parts for the KLX. I will be able to get my fork seals cheaper with them than through Kawi ($32 vs $60).

Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Hope you have better results with those aftermarket seals than most people do. That is the one place where I've learned over the years (40 years riding and 22 working in and hanging around a dealership) to just get OEM seals. Virtually every forum I frequent has the riders come back with the same response when it comes to fork seals - OEM - across the board. I hope you prove us wrong... but I'm not holding my breath.

The mechanics wouldn't put in anything but OEM after all the grief they got when the seals started leaking in short order.

On the fork springs the progressive wind will make for a more comfortable softer ride initially, good on the road. The straight rate might be better for more off roading so that the suspension travel is most efficiently used in rough going.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

to help you out good, we need to know your weight, type of riding you do, and skill level.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I read somewhere that the .46 springs are a tight fit (??brand). One of the inmates posted the info, can't find it. Maybe he got the wrong diameter springs.

How big are you Minako?

Old 04-30-2010, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Hope you have better results with those aftermarket seals than most people do. That is the one place where I've learned over the years (40 years riding and 22 working in and hanging around a dealership) to just get OEM seals. Virtually every forum I frequent has the riders come back with the same response when it comes to fork seals - OEM - across the board. I hope you prove us wrong... but I'm not holding my breath.

The mechanics wouldn't put in anything but OEM after all the grief they got when the seals started leaking in short order.

On the fork springs the progressive wind will make for a more comfortable softer ride initially, good on the road. The straight rate might be better for more off roading so that the suspension travel is most efficiently used in rough going.
+1 on the OEM vs non-OEM seals topic. It has also been my ugh "extensive" experience (ok I'm an old fart that's been riding since the Honda CL100 Scrambler was considered a decent dual sport bike!) that any of the non-OEM seals I've used just didn't hold up like the OEM ones. Given the relatively low cost involved I just use OEM in that dept.

also +1 on the progressive vs. straight wound springs. Straights are better for off-roading.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

If you ride hard off road those online calculators are all goofed up on this bike IMO. I'd at least pick the next spring stiffer than what they recommend. Same with the rear spring

Old 04-30-2010, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info fellows. That info helped ease my mind. After I read some reviews on the seals, there were a few people that had trouble with those seals. But other people had good reviews. So I am willing to give them a try. I was going to replace the bushing as well, but those should still be good. Right now, I am going over the KLX service manual on any special tools that I may need for the job. Making an order list for BikeBandit.com.

As for the springs, I have decieded to stick to the stock springs. I know they are soft for my weight (225 lbs), but I do like the plush ride on the road and bump asborbsion of them. As long as I don't push too hard, they are fine for off-roading.

Last edited by LearjetMinako; 04-30-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

The tech support that you will get from MotoPro would be worth the call. When I re-sprung my KLX the first time they were more than helpful everytime I called.

Dennis

Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Got some bad news. I won't be able to put any more money into the KLX. I just ordered the tools and parts for the fork seals. And I just revieced another hosiptal bill from my fall on 3/11/10. So I won't be able to afford much. This is the second biggest bill that I will have ever paid, owning land being the biggest. In other words, I'm flat broke and thank goodness for my medical insurance.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Man, that sucks I know what you mean, I have insurance but still got hit with a $2k bill for the doctor to pop my shoulder back in place.. If I knew it'd be that much I'd have been googling the procedure trail-side!! hahahaa

Good luck man

Quick Reply: Suspension springs