Suspension help for a novice

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Suspension help for a novice

I've been reading the PlanetKLX tips but, I'm just missing some of what that site is trying to tell me. Rear spring compression is pretty easy to figure out (sag) but, the damping is stumping me.

http://www.planetklx.com/techtips/dampening.shtml

I want to adjust the rear damping first but, the picture doesn't really help me. On the rear shock, the bubble at the top points to the upper shock mount through the plastic fairing. Both bolts look like they aren't really adjustable so, should I be turning the black splined plastic thing in the bottom of the gold colored tube (shock reservoir?)? Assuming I get my ride to start, I want to work on eliminating the harshness in the seat when I roll over "tar snakes" on the street.

I need to figure out how hard it is to get rid of some the front end dive but, the rear end needs work first so that's where I'm starting. What do I need to do to the front end? Is it pretty easy to add oil or air to get rid of some of the braking dive? Will this make the ride harsh?

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Suspension help for a novice

You need stiffer fork springs to take care of the front end dive. Try http://www.moto-pro.com . Check the "My Bike" tab, input your information and it will recommend the best spring rate for you.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Sid, you might also want to check out this great links for further info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H4S0...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTwqc...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmxxf...elated&search=

Old 12-15-2007, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Well so far so good. I gave up on starting my motorcycle with the choke and went to town and bought some starting fluid. It took a lot to get it started but once it did, it sputtered starting fluid in exhaust for a minute or two and warmed up enough to idle without the choke. With seat and side panels off, I found the other rebound screw hidden behind a stiff black cable so, it was time to play with the rear shock.

The lower rebound screw was turned clockwise which helped until I hit the stop [:'(]

The ride is still a little rough but, it's better. However, my back hurts right now so I need to go retest when I'm back to 100% The top rebound screw actually seems like it is about 1 extra turn CCW from the stock position.

I still have a lot to learn about the suspension stuff but, at least I made a little bit of forward progress today. Sounds like I need to work my way up to re-springing the front end though to get rid of the front end dive ... that's still a ways off though.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

You can firm or soften things up with the clickers but until you get the proper springs in for your weight you will be fighting a losing battle. After you get the correct springs in and get the sag set then you canadjust the compression and rebound settings. The front springs are for about a 140 pounder. If you are much heavier than that it will be the cause of your nose dive. The rear is somewhere in the 180-185 pound range. Do not add air to the forks as it will make them harsh. The air valves are to relieve the pressure. When you do, get the front end up in the air. You do have some flexibility in weight and amount of oil.Race Tech, which is what I use, and Moto Pro seem to be the most popular for springs.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Cranking in the compression adjusters seemed to help the front end dive while braking on my bike. But what the others said new springs are in order. I think I am 4 out on compression.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Well so far so good. I gave up on starting my motorcycle with the choke and went to town and bought some starting fluid. It took a lot to get it started but once it did, it sputtered starting fluid in exhaust for a minute or two and warmed up enough to idle without the choke. With seat and side panels off, I found the other rebound screw hidden behind a stiff black cable so, it was time to play with the rear shock.

The lower rebound screw was turned clockwise which helped until I hit the stop [:'(]

The ride is still a little rough but, it's better. However, my back hurts right now so I need to go retest when I'm back to 100% The top rebound screw actually seems like it is about 1 extra turn CCW from the stock position.

I still have a lot to learn about the suspension stuff but, at least I made a little bit of forward progress today. Sounds like I need to work my way up to re-springing the front end though to get rid of the front end dive ... that's still a ways off though.
The bottom screw is rebound. If you turned it max in you slowed rebound way down. Your rear end will stay compressed longer. You may experience packing because the shock cant recover fast enough between bumps.

For the top it is compression. If you turned it out 1 turn you made it softer.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

sid the kid oucch,i nknow regegt

Old 12-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

shin slintsJEJJWARD

Old 12-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Banned