Suspension adjustment for 185 lbs.?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Default Suspension adjustment for 185 lbs.?

Greetings all,
I was wondering what you would recommend for my correct compression setting. How many clicks? How many clicks from factory settings and counter clockwise or clockwise? I weigh 185-190 lbs depending on how hungry I am that day.Thanks again for all your help. Its been a blast riding the bike, hopefully I will be able to take it off road soon.
What oil do you guys use to lube the chain, and what solvent do you use to clean the air element?

Old 03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Suspension adjustment for 185 lbs.?

ORIGINAL: incabiker

Greetings all,
I was wondering what you would recommend for my correct compression setting. How many clicks? How many clicks from factory settings and counter clockwise or clockwise? I weigh 185-190 lbs depending on how hungry I am that day.Thanks again for all your help. Its been a blast riding the bike, hopefully I will be able to take it off road soon.
What oil do you guys use to lube the chain, and what solvent do you use to clean the air element?
Hey incabiker, I believe are little manuals we get with the bike says 8 clicks from fully seated is good for a 160 LB rider(rebound and compression) adjust compression in for stiffer and i believe it is in on rebound to slow it down. Hope this helps

Old 03-01-2006, 11:12 PM

Alright first fully seat your ajdustments lightly then back them off to factory setting wich is 8 clicks out front and 16 clicks out rear(compression) and the rear rebound adjuster on 12 clicks out. After you make sure your factory settings are correct dont touch nothing else intell you do tons of off road riding including jumps. Remember one thing compression and rebound effects the way you ride on small stuff(stutters, small whoops, and small bumps). And pre load and spring rate effect the way you handle the big stuff(Deep whoops, doubles, and tables). If you mess with your settings to much you will mess up the way your bike handles. If your doing mostly road and little off road leave the clickers alone if you do alot more off roading adjust as nessessary only one click at a time. Remember to adjust both forks the same clicks.
Now pre-load or race sag: first put your bike on a stand then measure from the center of of the axle bolt to the edge of the fender write that down. Then get on your bike w/ all your ride gear on get in attack position near a wall for balance. Have a buddy measure to the same points and then subtract that number by the first number. you get you race sag, it should be between 3.5 inches to 4 inches if it is under or over those numbers you eather need to tighten or loosen your pre-load adjuster.

Example: bike on stand rear wheel of the ground 26 inches to point I marked on fender: Off stand near wall in attack position all my weight on the bike 22.2 inches so 26-22.2=3.8 race sag

I hope this helps!

Old 03-02-2006, 03:20 AM

Ya that was perfect guys,
Thats the exact answer I was looking for. I remember I had to do them with the mountain bike and figured it would need to be done with the klx.
Thanks again