is this suppose to look like this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default is this suppose to look like this?

Have a knocking noise I think it might be the front sprocket ...
I dont think its the engine because it doesn't knock when I rev it in neutral and only happens in gear.

So I checked the front sprocket and the scratches on the washer and also the bend (which I think is suppose to be there).

knocking noise sounds like this:

Old 02-17-2018, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

The washer is bent to lock the nut on the shaft. Very unlikely the source of the knocking.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 02-17-2018, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

might be your chain hitting the swingarm

Old 02-17-2018, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Your looking at your front sprocket and hearing a noise coming from somewhere else, look somewhere else.

If your bike is making that noise when in gear, you may have a tooth off in that gear, does it do it in another different gear?

I once broke a tooth off a gear, it makes a big clunking sound while riding in that gear. You probably will not believe it, but it was on a Suzuki 80, unbelievable.

Last edited by durielk; 02-17-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Your looking at your front sprocket and hearing a noise coming from somewhere else, look somewhere else.

If your bike is making that noise when in gear, you may have a tooth off in that gear, does it do it in another different gear?

I once broke a tooth off a gear, it makes a big clunking sound while riding in that gear. You probably will not believe it, but it was on a Suzuki 80, unbelievable.
today I did a full maintenance job on the bike

cleaned the sprocket , lubed the chain, changed the oil
brought the bike to a mechanic for chain adjustment (didn't need it)
swapped the carb float gasket , swapped the float needle
cleaned the carb

when I removed the carb I found air filter oil in the carb openings !
I changed my air filter about 2 weeks ago and had only put a light coat of oil on the surface WHY am I getting oil in the carb?!!!

this happened to me a few months ago to.. I soaked my air filter in oil completely squished all the oil out as well as let it dry in the sun for 20 mins and still got leakage ...

Old 02-18-2018, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Nothing wrong with a bit of oil in the carb, it will suck through and burn. The excess oil will suck through the intake and being heavier than air it may deposit in the carb in spite of your squeezing as much out as possible. Figure a two stroke not only has the filter oil, but also premix and no problems there.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Nothing wrong with a bit of oil in the carb, it will suck through and burn. The excess oil will suck through the intake and being heavier than air it may deposit in the carb in spite of your squeezing as much out as possible. Figure a two stroke not only has the filter oil, but also premix and no problems there.
shouldn't that cause bad combustion though ?

Old 02-18-2018, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Works with a two stroke running about 3-4 ounces of oil in the gas burned. Four shot glasses full. That little bit of oil won't hurt anything.

There can be only two sources, the air filter oil and the breather. As long as you haven't overfilled the crank case the breather wouldn't be a big deal either. Make sure you have the right amount of oil in the engine. I believe you are to check the oil in the view window with the bike sitting upright, not on the side stand. If you filled it up leaning on the side stand you have too much oil and it is blowing into the air box. If the oil in the carb mouth is gooey sticky it is from the filter if it is dark and slippery, but not sticky it is crank case oil See if you overfilled the crank case.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the smell of burning premix........in the morning.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Ooooh yeah... castor bean oil is the best!

Quick Reply: is this suppose to look like this?