Super Moto Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Super Moto Rims

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

How can you say the KLX is a better dirt bike than any DRZ? They're both the same weight, and with the DRZSM, the center of gravity is lower. The DRZ has way more torque and power. I'll take you on in the woods with my SM tires on a dry day.
My one year premium on my DRZ is $5 less than my KLX was- through GEICO. The KLX is a nice bike, but w/out all the mods blah blah blah, it's a beginner bike. Mods, meaning big bore, pumper, lower gearing, etc.

In regards to going from SM to dirt bike, you just use the stock rotor. Yes it is larger and warrants caution, but unless you're doing the ISDE I'm sure it'll be okay. but no more caution than the KLX with it's ridiculously low front brake line. Plus, the larger rotor means tons better braking in any condition. I'm gonna do it, and when I do I'll post pics and the drool will start running. Going from the E to a SM really looks ridiculous. Old style forks, tiny front and rear rotors, oddball looking ride height, and you can tell it's been jimmied to look like an SM. Not my cup of tea.
Ya, they weigh the same....LOL. For someone who clearly spends more time reading about RWHP ratings & in general getting a chub reading spec shees instead of riding your 500 mile KLX I figure you would have caught that one.

You can take the bike from the troll but you cant take the troll from the forum.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine gets over 70 mpg sometimes but averages about 70 most the time. That is factoring in wheel size with my Vapor. Who jetted your bike, some idiot???

Old 05-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

I was hopeing that what you guys said was the case. The XL's rear rim and tire are already 17". That was something kind of unique to them. So I'm thinking that with some spokes and a front rim and an extra rear I could be in business. Thanks for the replies guys.......... oh, and you too IG

Do you have a web site or phone # for Buchanan?
Since you are looking around, I'll toss a good word in for Woody's Wheel Works. I didn't price SM wheels but I just had a new rear wheel built for my KTM. Since I do significant road I wanted a cush hub to take that hard edge of the power pulse off the transmission. It's not an issue for off-road but on pavement where there's little give at the rear wheel a non-cush drive can be hard on the tranny. Anyway, here's the wheel they built for me - note the spoke pattern, they call that their "superlace" pattern and it is built with heavy duty stainless steel spokes and nipples and is ultra-strong, much stronger looking than the stock rear wheel. It's a great looking overbuilt wheel and they are great to work with, answering all my questions, itemizing the quote out for all the individual parts and so forth.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:35 AM

Those Excel rims look great! Did the cush drive make a noticeable difference?

I have talked to several people that have laced their own rims and they said it was easy. If you take a look at Supermotojunkie.com you will find several XL's converted. You can find all kinds of rims on this site also http://www.motostrano-store.com/wheelstires.htmlI think the XL will make a great Supermoto because of all the low end torque!

Old 05-13-2007, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I was looking at the DRZ 400 and the SM weights 295lbs and the S weighs 291 dry. Theklx 262 lbs. dry. I'm not bashing the DRZ just stating the facts. The DRZ is a great bike andit gets great reviews from all the mags. No sense arguing which bike is better both are great. WE all know the KTM, aprilia, Husky make the best dual sports so no sense aruging.....lol....

Old 05-13-2007, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes, nicerim![sm=smiley20.gif] You sure are hooking that bike up with all the goodies...You need to post more often about that sweet bike of yours.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EvildoerZX10R
Those Excel rims look great! Did the cush drive make a noticeable difference?
Thanks! The difference is subtle but it is there. Feels a bit smoother on the pavement. The tranny is what feels it though, not so much the rider. Most larger bore DS bikes already have a cush. But since the KTM EXCs are barely street legal, they are not really true dual sport but rather are street legal dirt bikes being barely legal enough to connect the trails, etc. A cush hub gives back a little bit of DSness in the sense that it's no longer hard on the tranny to do extended road rides. I believe the SM version of the KTM comes stock with the cush hub and certainly the 640 LC4 bikes do as they are true dual sports. In fact, my new rear hub is the same one from the 640 LC4.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:08 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onestarr99

Nobrakes, nice rim![sm=smiley20.gif] You sure are hooking that bike up with all the goodies...You need to post more often about that sweet bike of yours.
Thanks! I don't want to wear out my welcome here and have you guys suggesting I find a KTM forum somewhere that I could post in instead.

Still waiting on my Renazco seat - once I get that I'll throw up some pics since at that point it will finally have all the major bling that I plan to do. I'm just hoping the seat gets here in time for the NE ride. I don't look forward to 100 mile days on the stock 2x4. But at least I should be OK with gas range - I think I'm good for around 120 miles or so on a tank.

Quick Reply: Super Moto Rims