Super Moto Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Super Moto Rims

OK, I've searched for answers and haven't come up with any that satisfy me. So I'm coming to the knowledgeable resources of this board!
Is there a difference between normal dirt bike rims and SM rims? Besides the different alloys and colors are they interchangeable with regular rims? If they are basically the same, why the big expense?
I'm kicking around the idea of using stock hubs and having an extra set of SM rims and tires for my XL. Mainly because it will be on the street more than the trails.
Can someone provide me with some insight?

Old 05-10-2007, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Super Moto Rims

SIZE MATTERS.
Its all about tire size, if you have dirt bike rims you are stuck with "bicycle" tires (2 to 3 inch =-)where as SM rims you can put on larger sport tires (3 to 5 inc +-)
More rubber to allow some knee dragging.

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

OK, I've searched for answers and haven't come up with any that satisfy me. So I'm coming to the knowledgeable resources of this board!
Is there a difference between normal dirt bike rims and SM rims? Besides the different alloys and colors are they interchangeable with regular rims? If they are basically the same, why the big expense?
I'm kicking around the idea of using stock hubs and having an extra set of SM rims and tires for my XL. Mainly because it will be on the street more than the trails.
Can someone provide me with some insight?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I've kicked around do the same thing to my DR650. And your right, the rims and spokes are obscenely priced! I believe the price difference for supermoto rims has to do with economies of scale. A company like Excell can pound out and sell oodles of 18", 19", and 21" rims. Supermoto in general is still relatively a niche market, so Excell can only sell much smaller quantities of 17" rims. With production costs being the same, they charge more for each rim.

Also, I thinkcompanies take advantage of the term "supermoto". It's kind of like boats. Anything with "marine" in the name costs 100 bucks more!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

some insight? sure, an inexpensive Suzuki DRZ400SM. and you think you KLX is fun..............go ride one. you'll trade at the moment. then, you can do the same post only looking for dirt wheels/tires for the DRZ.
You realize you are becoming a troll right?

Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

[/quote] You realize you are becoming a troll right? [/quote]

I thought he was just another squid on a DRZ400-SM
PS-the SM refers to the seat!!![sm=lildevil.gif]

Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Iowaguy he said for the XL not the KLX. Feel the power of the xl600r and your 400sm will feel slower than the klx. Second, he has had his good moments but has always been a troll. Now tovfrpilot, its pretty much what mustang and diodave said the sm rims are usually wider I would say that you should probably be running like a 140 or 150 in the rear probably a 120 in the front. Excels are top of the line rims you will pay more for themin any size rim. Mustang is right about smaller quanities of the wheels, there is almost nothing but supermoto that uses 17in spoked wheels. If there were a couple of manufactures that were selling great quanities of new bikes that used this size wheel the cost would probably be cheaper. You could also check with bucanhan(sp.?) about spokes they make top quality products and can custom make any size spokes.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I was hopeing that what you guys said was the case. The XL's rear rim and tire are already 17". That was something kind of unique to them. So I'm thinking that with some spokes and a front rim and an extra rear I could be in business. Thanks for the replies guys.......... oh, and you too IG

Do you have a web site or phone # for Buchanan?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

www.buchananspokes.com What is the width of the stock rear wheel? Maybe you could find an ebay special and use the rim itself for the front hub and get custom spokes. Or if the rear rim is not very wide, move it up to the front and get a wider one for the rear, the same spokes should work.You should only need one rim and a set of custom spokes to get moto wheels.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

some insight? sure, an inexpensive Suzuki DRZ400SM. and you think you KLX is fun..............go ride one. you'll trade at the moment. then, you can do the same post only looking for dirt wheels/tires for the DRZ.
If I wanted to do this

I would have bought a DRZ400, I'll stick with the KLX thanks

Quick Reply: Super Moto Rims