Super Moto Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Super Moto Rims

Are you gonna lace and true these up yourself Gary?

My RM's spokes arent bad but they look old and I was thinking about replacing the spokes, however I havent found anyone locally to give me a quote yet.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm sorry but the greased pig thing is priceless.......!

Old 05-11-2007, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JB1

Are you gonna lace and true these up yourself Gary?

My RM's spokes arent bad but they look old and I was thinking about replacing the spokes, however I havent found anyone locally to give me a quote yet.
If I find all the components that it takes, I think that I'll give it a go. One of my personality flaws is that when I see something done by someone else, I think that I should be able to do it too. Really, how hard can it be? I'm thinking the worst part will be setting something up to check the trueness. Just hope it doesn't turn out to be one of those things that I later discover that there is a good reason for someone to charge big bucks to do the job.

I too like the "chasing the pig" analogy.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow. You guys hit the nail right on the "thumb" with that one. I understand why more people don't engage with him. We used to have a sign at work that said, arguing with an "(insert your own word here)," is like wrestling with a pig. Pretty soon you realize that you just get dirty and the pig likes it.

Evidently he's an enthusiast though. I just wish he was able to be less "Honest" read that more honestly as "abrasive," and engage in positive, constructive dialogue. There seems to be a distorted thought that it's somehow noble to oppose reason and logic...or even dash someones enthusiasm for their machine. In fact, he only discredits himself in the process. I'd give the guy a chance if he'd just try to get a grip. Oh well. I've raised three boys. That's enough for one lifetime.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

How much do you think it would cost to put dirt wheels on aDRZ 400 SM? I mean rims, spokes hubs, I know the price of the tires. Maybe I will give my son theKLX (he's 14) and buy aDRZ SMfor my self. ( just a thought).

Old 05-12-2007, 10:05 AM
1st Gear Member

If I want to read about a Suzuki I'll go to a www.suzukiforums.com in the meantime take your overweight pig and stick it in a suzuki forum
Cheers

Old 05-12-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

ORIGINAL: onestarr99

How much do you think it would cost to put dirt wheels on aDRZ 400 SM? I mean rims, spokes hubs, I know the price of the tires. Maybe I will give my son theKLX (he's 14) and buy aDRZ SMfor my self. ( just a thought).
taking into account you are serious, I may be able to help you here minimally as I'm currently looking into this. The stock wheels/tires from the other DRZ models bolt right up to the SM swingarm and forks using stock spacers. You can find these wheels in one form or another on ebay or thumpertalk.com classifieds; sometimes in a set and sometimes singly. Prices range anywhere from $400-$750 for stock units with tires that I've seen. Rims aren't cheap. I'd really love to have some black excels with an undecided hub color. The bike is so damn sweet looking in stock form (yellow imo)that adding sweet dirt rims and a nice looking dirt tire would be downright killer. Still, no power like a KTM or KLX 450, but it would make a sweet looking bike with still 35 stock rwhp. Not bad for the money. With a jet kit and an opened up airbox, that number so I've read becomes 37 horse without a pipe. I've considered selling my oem SM wheels/tires as they go for $1200 or so, but I know I'd want them back sometime if I did sell them. They are harder to get a hold of than the dirt wheels/tires and a lot more expensive.
Thanks for the info.. I'm going too look into this a bit further. Keep me posted.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-12-2007, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

You might want to look into how the front brake rotor mounts from a SM to a Standard S model. Most people go from the S to the SM and not the other way around. Starting wirh a DRZ400-SM is just not as slick as changing over a KLX-250S to a SM. Nothing wrong with the DRZ-400-SM but it will never match the KLX-250-S as far as being a dirt bike and a SM . Down on horsepower yes but not on handling. The DZR-400 will pass everything but a gas station!!! Jetted and desmoged pipe, I still get over 70 mpg in town on the KLX. Corrected speedo/odo too. (insurance cost is about half as a DZR-400 SM too)

I looked really hard at a DZR-400 SM but the Wee Strom seems like a a way better street bike for the little bit more in price. Way faster too.

Quick Reply: Super Moto Rims