Stranded

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Stranded

Folks

After 500 happy miles on my '07I ended up stranded today for the first time. I was slowing to a stop light that quicklyturned green. I then pulled the throttle back in gleeful acceleration and felt the back tire slip. I thought at first that I'd hit a slipery spot of some sort. Then the back tire simultaneously deflated. Luckily I was right next to a gas station where I could pull over.I called my my wife and she brought mytruck to pick me and the bike up.

At the gas station I tried to inflate the tire to no avail. I blame this incident on Kawasaki not equipping the bike with rim locks.

Questions:

1) How many of you KLX owners have had rim locks installed?

2) How many of you KLX owners have incurred a flat tire due to complications from not having rim locks on your stock bike?

3) Why would Kawasaki release this bike without rim locks? Please... my son's CRF150F has rim locks but the KLX250 doesn't!?

4) Ballpark...how much does it cost to have rim locks installed?

5) Am I jumping the gun by blaming the absence of a rim lock for my immediate predicament? I don't think there's any other explanation but I'm certainly open to ideas.

When I tried to re-inflate the tire at the gas station the air escaped right back out from under the rim at the valve stem and there are no other holes or foreign objects in my tire, it's good to go.

Thoughts?

Mike

Old 05-02-2008, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stranded

I installed them right away when I threw the stock tires away. Buy two and install them yourself easy job and use the search button I'm sure someone has shown how to do this. Also put heavy duty tubes in while you have the rims off the bike.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I JUST had a new Michelin AC-10 installed tonight, along with a heavy-duty tube and a rim lock. Will I have any problems because I only had 1 rimlock installed instead of 2?

Don

Old 05-02-2008, 03:57 AM

I don't think the lack of rim locks left you stranded. I think it is the lack of air in your tires. I have several thousand hard miles on my bike without locks and have never felt it slip. Air up your tires when your on the road it rides and handles better and your tires will last much longer.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Without rim locks you run the risk of spinning the tyre at low tyre pressure, and in doing this you can tear the valve from the tube. This is really easily done, especially if you have tightened the valve nut up to the rim. Fit some metal valve caps with o rings to seal the tube properly and then tweek the valve nut up to the cap. This just gives you a extra bit of insurance in that the valve stem will be able to move a little if the tyre starts to spin on the rim. This is also true and sound advice, even if you have rim-locks fitted.
If you ride far from the road, it's prudent to fit heavy duty tubes and rim-locks. It could save you a long walk. A spare tube comes in handy too.
Everyone I've talked to recommends the forged type rim-locks.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, you already had a puncture, the rimlocks would have only let you ride till the tyre shredded itself.
I have AC 10s as well and due to mainly riding offroad I have locks on both wheels.

P.S. Only seriously modded bikes would need 2 rimlocks on the back to stop the raw horsepower rotating the tyre.
Makes for fun doing fast tube changes at the side of the trail too.

Lee

Old 05-02-2008, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 to West OZ
Alternatively leave the nut off the valve stem, just use it to hold the stem when you refit the tyre, then remove
Lee

Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm suprised by the responses on here......Iride off-road all the time but I always carry a spare front tube if the **** hits the fan otherwise,tire irons an patch kit with an air pump is all I need........I've never had to use the front tube but I may F upso I always carry one.

Patching and repairing a flat should be nuthin You should be able to patch a tire without blinking.

The klx does not need rim locks for most riding....I ride sugar way softer than most Ibet. and...18 psi is ok... not premium but acceptable and no locks reqd.

Are you such a good rider that you have to have <18 psi?

Old 05-02-2008, 04:52 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

7300 miles and I ride pretty aggressive, on the street, trails, mud (yes even mud once in a while) and gravel roads, and I've never even had a tire get low. I ran low pressure on one trip, but I worried about it the whole time so I max out the pressure in both tires. The way I figure it, I learned to ride in all conditions with max air, and I'm not changing it now. I know and realize that lower pressure helps with traction and loose stuff but you know what, I'm not in a race, and I have learned to do it this way. Its all good.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

No, Im fast, but pretty average Owen, but in mixed terrain/ clay with water crossings and serious hills you need to run like sub 12 to get uphill traction. I run 15 front, 12 back checked before the ride and am always prepared to drop pressures to retain traction. In fact sometimes it gets so slippery that letting nearly all the air out is an option, it widens the tread.
Lee

Quick Reply: Stranded