Stock KLX seat is plush & comfy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Stock KLX seat is plush & comfy!

After spending the day in the saddle of my wife's ZX6r, I'll never jokingly refer to the KLX seat as a “2x4” again! I am so sore that I am not even sure if I'll be getting out of bed tomorrow morning!

It sure is awesome bouncing off the rev limiter at 16,500rpm, but not if carpel tunnel syndrome & hemorrhoids are the price!

Youngsters please don't take your resilience for granted!

Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

On the street I can only do 3 hours on the klx seat and the last hour is all about standing and fidgeting to keep the numbness at bay. This is up from the 30 minute window when I first got the bike.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX seat is like a giant sofa compared to some of my buddies bikes. I have never had a problem with it.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:14 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
The KLX seat is like a giant sofa compared to some of my buddies bikes. I have never had a problem with it.
So true...it's all relative. My last stock KLR650 saddle was pretty comfy on pavement, but once you hit the dirt, it got downright uncomfortable...and it didn't let you slide easily on the saddle to redistribute your weight in the dirt. My stock KLX saddle is great off road but not as good on pavement. I don't think there is really any saddle that does it all with any degree of perfection. Seldom do the things that make a saddle work great in one medium really tranfer to the other medium with equal results.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

New seats are a bit firm but they seem to get better over time or I just got used to it. Off road it's fine because I'm standing and shifting around a bit but after an hour on road I need to stand for a min or two. Still way better than an racing bike but not quite an xr200 couch. The passenger section of the seat will never be comfy but theres not much foam there or my *** so I don't care. I'm 160# do you heavier guys have a problem with wedgies/numbness?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

After almost 14000 miles I can honestly say that my seat has broken in. There is an actual impression of my *** in the seat. Didn't really notice until I sat on another portion of the seat and noticed how hard it was, slid back onto/into my spot and,"Ahh, so comfy, sorta"...it's all relative.
Going to throw a sheepskin on for my trip to S.Carolina. No point suffering anymore than I will be.
Someday, I'll pull the cover off and replace the foam with something softer and maybe a little wider towards the back. Until then, when my *** hurts I ride standing, like when I'm off-road. Standing at 50-60mph helps me pretend I'm riding right behind Cyril Despres across the high desert of S. America in the Dakar.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as seat comfort I don't really have a lot to compare to except the seats in my cars and trucks. But I have a bit of a bad back, and I can tell you that my back feels 100% better after riding the bike (on the same road) then it does in any of my other vehicles, and that is because of one simple factor, I can stand up while riding the bike.
My bad back can't take sitting for long periods of time. Even after just 1 hour of driving in a car it takes me a few minutes to stand erect, but my back actually feels better after riding the bike. I can hop right off the bike after a ride and prance around like a gazelle, that is because I'm often standing while I'm riding much of the time. I imagine if I forced myself to sit the entire time I'd be in just as bad a shape, or worse, than driving a car, but fortunately I don't have to sit the whole time.
Of course rough dirt roads will take more of a toll, but they'd take more of a toll sitting in a truck or ATV too.
I use to have a care-taking job and spent a lot of time on a riding mower, the seat on that thing was plush compared to the KLX seat, but that riding mower was a killer on my back, because I couldn't get my feet under me to support my body weight, all the side to side movement and bumps were transferred directly to my tailbone,,, I'll never do that sort of work again, it almost crippled me.
In short, it doesn't really mater that much to me how soft the seat is, the fact that I can stand, or at least take my weight off my butt, is what saves my back.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mucky_Waters
the fact that I can stand, or at least take my weight off my butt, is what saves my back.
Very true; standing is just not an option on a sport bike.
I just got back from 5 hours on the KLX. I rode a pretty even mix of pavement, gravel and off-road. I feel great. Not fatigued at all. Certainly nothing like I did yesterday after getting off that ZR6r!