Stock height of forks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Stock height of forks?

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a motopro suspension like vfrpilot did. In early inquiries with John Minnich, president of Moto Pro, he recommended that the stock height of the suspension be preserved. That is, if I had lowering links and/or raised the forks in the triple clamps that I reverse these mods before installing his company's products.

Along with Nobrakes' report that the suspension does end up sagging to a comfortable riding position, I've decided to back these mods out. (it seems as though I'm riding lower now than when I first lowered the bike).

So I need some help in putting the front forks back to their stock position. I looked in the service manual, but didn't see any specification.

I measured the distance from the top of the triple clamp to the top of the fork tube to be 31mm (and 34mm to the top of the fork tube cap).

Can someone who hasn't raised the forks from the stock position make the same measurement and post it? Thanks.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stock height of forks?

Mine are right about 3/16" i have not touched them yet.that is the distance from the bottom edge of the cap (where the gold part of the fork starts) to the top clamp.hope that helps yah.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Brian,

That's what I was looking for. This tells me that I raised my forks about 1-1/4", confirms my recollection.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

wow...I didn't think they could be raised that much in the clamp....I did consider it but they work so well with the tires i have on for the street that i didn't want to screw with something that worked...i'm sure they could be better but it's the spring stiffness for me as they dive to much on the street when hammering the brakes....still tinkering tho but that's my next point of attack ...the front forks.the springs that is...they need to be a bit more progressive for me but keep the initial softness.glad i could help.B

Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I also have bar risers installed that allow for them to be raised. I'm keeping the risers as they help when standing up while riding.

The diving front end is one of the reasons that I'm going to tinker with the suspension.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Dan...somewhere in another post i explained my installation of the Pro-taper contour bars i just did this past weekend.I had to shoose the close to stock setup in hight as i ride so much street.I ran the big bar adapter/risers and universal low bend bars....no cross bar to get in the way.They felt a little odd at first due to the sweep back being not as great but overall they feel really good....rode it to work the last few nights (rain and cold,35 degrees) but they seem to be great other than the initial feel....rode a few miles standing on some back roads and they felt excellent and firm but not buzz to my hands.now i just have to fit a stabilizer and keep my oem guage cluster.....then i'll be happy.