Starting my carb mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Starting my carb mods

My Muzzy is finally going to be here on Tuesday, so I'm starting my mods tomorrow morning then going to vegas until monday night. Hopefully the Muzzy will arrive just as I need it. Heres what I'm up to:

Using the dynojet kit and going through the motions (drilling etc) and putting the clip on the needle at #3 (this suggestion is for sea level soi might go #2 since I'm at 3500 ft)and using a 128 main. Going to turn kouba out 2.5 turns. Adding the high flow snorkel to lid which already has 5 one inch foam breathers. I'm also going to cut out that wire screen in the airbox (does anyone even do this?) as suggested my planet klx.......then going to slap on the muzzy!

Really stoked for this, I've been waiting a long time and I think I've got all my research done. Wish me luck (my first carb mod) and I'll try to take some pics!

Or maybe I'll just get lucky in vegas and buy a 450 in some flavour and a Harley.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Starting my carb mods

Good luck and have fun! Personally, I think removing the screen is a waste of time and a real beeeaaaatch to do!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I did the mod the exact same way. Dyno #3 on needle, 128 main, drill (NOT THE CENTER) hole in the slide, 2.5 turns out on idle screw. That was the first carb I ever moded that did NOT need any adjustment after install. I was amazed and happy about that.... also while its out, take a 1/2 inch bit with a vise to the air breather connection where the crankcase hose fits in and open that up.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:36 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbarchi

also while its out, take a 1/2 inch bit with a vise to the air breather connection where the crankcase hose fits in and open that up.
You mean bend the opening on the crankcase? Or on the airbox? I've already got the 5/8ths tubing running from the crank case up to the top of the bike with a breather filter on it.

Also what elevation are you? I was advised that my original setup plan might be too rich for my elevation.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok well the Muzzy did get here on tuesday, but UPS decided not to swing by my house to give it to me [:@]No matter i was pretty drained from my trip anyway. Its 4 and still no muzzy but i called them and told them they better drop it off today or there will be hell to pay.

Aside from that I'm about to start the carb mods. I'm going to follow the instructions for setup with the endcap off a stock pipe as per the dynojet instructions, as i'm higher up so i'll be too rich anyway with their suggestion for aftermarket pipes.

One quick question, does anyone have any pics of how to "quickly" change out the jets/needle settings as I've heard you can just loosen the boots and tilt it? which makes me also wonder, why not just do this in the first place?

Muzzy just arrived while putting in kouba screw

Cheers.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Personally I'd rather pull the carb and have some "elbow" room to play around with it - plus trying to get it back in is worth video taping!
[sm=signs003.gif]

The road to enlightenment is not paved.