Completed Carb Mods Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Completed Carb Mods Impressions

Well my afternoon project has come to a close. Rejetted with the N1TC needle with the clip on the second slot from the fat end, 125 main, #40 pilot, drilled the slide and crank vent tube and the KDX snorkel. From a bone dry carb it fired on the 2nd revolution which I'll have you know is faster than it ever started before. Turned the choke off immediately and revved it a few time, just to 3500 rpm just to see how it would react. Normally unless its already hot or has been idling 3-5 minutes it would bog and sometimes stall. Now no hesitation it was ready to rip. Coupled to the carb mods I'm running the KLX250D unrestricted, non catalytic exhaust with a home made baffle on the rear to quiet it down some. With the hole pattern on the baffle I'm flowing the equivalent of a 3/4" inch exhaust outlet.

Driveway Impressions:
Well on the wet sand from just off idle in 1st when I cracked on it it would immediately break loose but once it got above 4000 rpm it really started churning the rear tire. Just running up through the rpm range it wanted to break the rear loose on wet grass.

Road Impressions:
WOW this is not the bike I bought in April! The sound says get outta my way and the pull from 2000-8000 is incredible compared to stock. 6th gear will pull hard from 40 now instead of having pretty much 50-65 and that was all it was good for. As far as the top of 6th gear I don't notice a heckuva lotta difference as far as pull from 60 but if I wound out the gear it would pull good up to 70 and I let off due to the rain slick roads. I'm wondering if maybe I'm a tad rich on top with the exhaust capped off. Maybe tomorrow I'll pull the cap, considering its only 2 bolts, and go for another spin. Before I pull the cap, weather permitting I'll try and get another video for you to hear the exhaust with the baffle.

In case your forgot here are some pics of the exhaust...............and also to prevent the "useless w/out pics"

Old 07-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Default RE: Completed Carb Mods Impressions

Just a comment on the start-up.

If you were able to take the choke off and rev the bike straight after starting it (from dead cold), there's a pretty good chance it's running too rich and/or the pilot jet is too large.

Drof

Old 07-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Another DIY convert Welcome to the order - you are now Jedi. We'll now teach you the secret handshake and the location of the secret garage where we smoke cigars, drink brandy, and wrench on our bikes

Old 07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Seems odd that it would be too rich considering I followed bmwhd's mods and he was running the stock exhaust with just the half inch hole drilled. The only difference is the larger pilot jet however that is what HMF Engineering recommended for their exhaust which is quieter than the Muzzy by a good margin so I imagine is a bit more restricted. My exhaust is right in the middle of those 2 so I figured the 40 pilot would work fine. I'll have to ride it more and read the plug I guess.
I also found this reference:

Carb needle jet size and position - 1/4 - 3/4 throttle
Carb slide spring and vent hole - Throttle response
Carb main jet - 1/4 - full throttle
Carb pilot jet - 0 - 1/4 throttle

Old 07-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i have done all the same things also, i think my clip is in the third position on the needle though, and im runnin a little rich, i back out the air fuel screw a half turn so its just 2 turns out... i think its not as rich now, is that a good way to make it run leaner? or should i put the clip on the second slot on the needle?

Old 07-13-2006, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

From one of the posts I have saved the higher the clip the leaner it will run as the higher the clip the lower the needle sits and restricts the flow.

UPDATE:
I rode to work today and after the above mods it really flattened out the hills. Without getting a run up to the hills or even adding much throttle at all I would only lose 2-3mph even on some good sized hills. These same hills would knock me from 70 down to 58 when it was all stock. Now I can actually accelerate uphill if I want to, ableit slowly but it will pick up. I think my initial impressions were skewed due to the weather it was hot and extremely humid yesterday so it wasn't performing at its greatest I imagine. Today however had low humidity and hit about 85 degrees and it pulls strong all the way from the bottom up and revs smoothly above 7000 now with the crank vent drilled out. It used to be really buzzy up high but it revs quick and revs high I'd say for the $$$ and time I'm very happy with the performance now. While my pipe ain't a Muzzy in looks, sound, or performance I'm still relatively happy, when my budget allows that's probably what I'll end up with.