Stand alone tuning ECU for KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Finally got round to hooking up my ecu to the laptop!! Software runs well, with no problems. Sometime soon my mechanical engineer mate will pop by my place & lend a hand in some playing/tuning on the api ecu, as he has been tuning his Harley ecu for a longtime with good results & knows a bit more than me about such things. I'm sure most of you have seen the api tech videos posted by Chatbovon & will see nothing new here, except they use the Thai version of this software. So here is a short video of the newly translated English api software at work, sorry it's a bit shacky but i was on my own twisting the throttle & videoing at the same time!! Once we have worked out how to save the original MAP as a .cfg file the fun can start & some sort of report can be written.

API unlimited ECU KLX250sf part 1.avi - YouTube

Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, did some tests today on the unlimited api ecu. Chatbovon was good enough to email me 3 test .cfg files (MAPS).

The 1st problem i encountered with the software was how to save a whole .cfg MAP of everything on the ecu, this is not obvious or explained properly in the 20 page api pdf. AS you can see on the video Tony1 was our 1st attempt to save everything & it didn't seem big enough (5k) compared with Chatbovon's file sizes (9k)! So Tony2 our 2nd attempt on the video was (9k) & ok. This is done by opening all 7 windows of the software & individually closing them while pressing upload for each one before closing window. (UPload is onto laptop & Download is onto ECU)

Had a very brave tinker with the subthrottle & leaned off the injection which made the bike ride slow (almost like popping on the original restricted ecu). Then came the big moment of loading the saved Tony2 file back on the ecu & thankfully the bike was back to original performance ecu power!! Big sigh of relief....

Now we were feeling brave enough to load test1 & ride round the block. It was a little slower in top end power & but smoother low down in the rpm range. Good for town commuting i would say.

Test2 seemed to be back to the normal power curve of the performance ecu.

Test3 which Chatbovon stressed was an increase in injection acceleration and will cause an increase in fuel consumption. Well this MAP went on & i took the bike for a blast around the block & there was a noticeable increase in pulling power from 7000-1000rpm! First gear was pretty brutal. And Almost lifted the front wheel up in second gear just rolling the throttle back.......hhmmm i like this!! think i will leave this MAP on the bike for a full tank to see how fuel is affected. Plus there is a bit more decelerating exhaust popping happening with this MAP. As you can see on the air-fuel ratio (AF) bar on the software (green bar bottom left) 10 is very rich & 15 is very lean. Up in the higher rpm's this was reading 10.5 & 11 which is rich & whats causing the exhaust popping but below 5000rpm the average reading was 12-13 which is a perfect (AF) reading.

On a full tank to the fuel warning light coming on with the stock performance ecu my bike on average for medium/hard start/stop riding is about 130km(ish). We will see in 3 or 4 days what the new figure is, for a full tank.

So not being an expert is ecu tuning, today went pretty well but the software does seem rather new & needing a few tweeks, i guess this will come as they develop newer versions (i'm using v7.1). Compared to my mate Tony's Harley ecu software it does not compare at the moment, as he can view simulated on screen comparison MAPS & ride with the laptop in his side pannier & get a full diagnostic reading of what needs changing to run better. But if i hadn't seen the Harley software in action, when i would be very impressed with the api program.

API unlimited ECU KLX250sf part 2.avi - YouTube

Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 AM

@ chatbovon

hello chatbovon I hope that in your country soon comes back to normalcy.

I'm now able to fit the ecu. She brings the desired result, but unfortunately only from about 20 degrees outside temperature. These include the KLX can hardly drive. She jerks and stutters. I think she is too skinny. Is it possible that for an unlimited ecu box swap? If so, where do I return the box? The seller rejects a withdrawal.

Wolli

Old 12-16-2011, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

What happened to Marcelino in this forum. How did his test go? Is this the product we have all been waiting for and can I get it online?

Old 02-14-2012, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

good question...
Chatbovon vanished all the same too, since the flood he no longer works with API which will complicate communication matters for buyers outside thailand.

I'm using the "unlimited box" with a 300 kit ( piston/cylinder kawa parts that fit on both the 250 and 300 klx) and it works without problem on my DtrackerX, aka the klx 250sf outside asia. Still running in the engine so i can't tell about high rev but the low end has definitely more torque. I use maps made by a guy named pong and he was tuning the bike online from his province, quite impressive although i would have prefer to have him next to the bike.

The software itself looks quite straightforward, there is a pdf you can download here that explains it:

Programmable ECU for Motorbike

if you live outside bangkok where this ecu was developed you'll need to order the unlimited version to be able to adjust for altitude/humidity/temperature ( and mods on the bike itself!).

Oliv

Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by owelter
I use maps made by a guy named pong and he was tuning the bike online from his province, quite impressive although i would have prefer to have him next to the bike.

Oliv
Well said Oliv, Yer Chatbovon has gone from APi but he is related to a guy called Patapong & he was tuning my bike last week online! Impressive stuff, when took over my computer with the bike plugged in & started adjusting all the MAPS & stuff but like you said it would be better if he was there in person or someone with the expertise to use the software.

So unless you can get your bike to Bangkok or your a real wizz with tuning software, then i wouldn't recommend this product as Pong doesn't work with APi anymore & it won't be long before he stops bothering helping people out online with the tuning!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks at all,

I sold my 250klx.

Whish you a nice time with the KLX.

Wolli

Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi all, I have just installed the 300 kit {OMC parts} I have a Electronic Jet Kit, from Dobeckperformance, which allows changes to the amount of fuel from the injectors at various throttle positions.
My problem is the bike now runs like crap from idle to 1/8 and up to 1/4 throttle. Backfiring on deceleration, bogging on acceleration and running erratically at low speeds.

Idling is rough and hot starting is difficult.

The bike pulls well from 1/4 throttle up, pulls hard in all gears and definate power increase.

However now the bike would be unridable in slow traffic or on trails, but great on an WFO race track.
Where do I start with rectifying the issues?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower
Hi all, I have just installed the 300 kit {OMC parts} I have a Electronic Jet Kit, from Dobeckperformance, which allows changes to the amount of fuel from the injectors at various throttle positions.
My problem is the bike now runs like crap from idle to 1/8 and up to 1/4 throttle. Backfiring on deceleration, bogging on acceleration and running erratically at low speeds.

The bike pulls well from 1/4 throttle up, pulls hard in all gears and definate power increase.

However now the bike would be unridable in slow traffic or on trails, but great on an WFO race track.
omg....welcome to the world of EFi & big bore kits!! I got a mate in Oz who had terrible problems with his 330 kit with a juice box & the only way he could get the JB to add more fuel & get the -+ controls to actually work was to disconnect the choke plug on the carb. Not sure which plug but there are only 3 plugs on the carb, he then said almost like magic the bike was running great!!.......try them one at a time & see if you can get more fuel through the injector. If I can get in touch with him & ask what he did, i'll let you know.
APi programmable is still the king on controllers IMHO.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Also have a 300 cc kit on my Thai Dtracker ( aka klx 250 sf ) and the locally made ECU called "Unlimited Box" manufactured by API, it runs fine for me. Lots of loud popping on deceleration and high fuel consumption are my only problems. ( And i'm not sure i'm getting the all the power the 300 is able to deliver... )

At least that vouch for the stock injection being sufficient to run the 300 without major problems. So you have a tuning problem right now. You may have to call the manufacturer of your box for help.

I'm currently thinking about putting the versys injection nozzle on,
it has 12 holes vs 10 on the KLX and i have the feeling size will match.

Originally Posted by grahamgower

Quick Reply: Stand alone tuning ECU for KLX250