Stand alone tuning ECU for KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Thumbs up tuning box

Originally Posted by chatbovon
Today API technician has just came back from Pattaya Kawasaki shop. He went to teach and suggest API ECU user and train all of Kawasaki staff in Thailand.

API ECU Thai version was developed under many point of condition of employer (secret) which concentrates in unharmed the engine and consumes the gas in acceptable range by the reason of them. This will make you feel free and confident in your bike.

Indian : please follow, for the basically, hold the start button for a longer time. After engine start, screw to adjust throttle down to 2000rpm quickly. Then stop adjusting and wait, when engine temperature increase to 40 degree Celsius, auto speed idle will control idle speed automatically. If you try to tune throttle after auto speed worked, you will not able to control idle and the engine will be hard to start. You will feel easier to start engine if you follow these suggestion.
Your ECU is Thai version “fixed box” which was reduced power from full performance of API ECU by the reason of employer for not be the problem to warrantee. Finally the difference from export KLX device, you have to calibrate your ECU to most optimal to your bike and up more power. But you cannot tune “fixed box”. If you want to do, you have to send back to API and upgrade your ECU to “tuning box”. Its cost about 3500 bath (82 euro) then you will get tuning wire and program. For exhaust, they cannot tell you what is the best, you have to find yourself, each bike have not the same condition but “fixed box” can support VE about 5%.
hello chatbovon,

i am gonna send you the ecu ,but wich way is the best to send it,and how i send you the money?(western union,bank transfer ).also i dont know to much from motorbikes and computers,so i dont know its possible for me to tune it.
today i installed a 45 tooth rearsprocket and i can lift it up a little easier,but not to much difference accept that the gears are shorter now and the power comes quicker ,i think..
and can you(somebody)give me some more information to make my bike more acceleration power??i read something about camshafts,but where you find those things and let them install.because i could never do that

thx for the reply and greetings from sin city

Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi indian. For your question about your API ECU. Please contact them directly here
Help & Suggestion Center

They will support you as they can because you are their customer.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

chatbovon thanks so much for this info. I am going to move to Bangkok very soon and I would like to buy a KLX250 and I am very interested in the ECU from API. Can you tell me where I can get this in Bangkok? Can I just ask the Kawa dealer anywhere?

I checked the API website, but I do have problems with the Thai language .

By the way chatbovon, could you tell me if I can get lowering links for the KLX250 in Bangkok? Also a rear rack/carrier, is that available in Bangkok or do I need to order those from the US?

Last edited by kuyaoli; 07-25-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kuyaoli
chatbovon thanks so much for this info. I am going to move to Bangkok very soon and I would like to buy a KLX250 and I am very interested in the ECU from API. Can you tell me where I can get this in Bangkok? Can I just ask the Kawa dealer anywhere?

I checked the API website, but I do have problems with the Thai language .

By the way chatbovon, could you tell me if I can get lowering links for the KLX250 in Bangkok? Also a rear rack/carrier, is that available in Bangkok or do I need to order those from the US?
Hi kuyaoli
In thailand, you can ask at Kawa dealer for API's "fixed box" (Thai version), just plug and ride. But "tuning box" and "unlimit box" have been developing for global version also in "fixed box" with english user's guide.

Rear and rack/carrier also were sold in Kawa dealer or you can ask for nearest shop or place who sell ones.

Welcome to Thailand, land of smile

Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

thankyou chatbovon, appreciate your answer.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Hello fellow KLX riders
I have just bought an API ECU (From Thailand) on ebay for my UK KLX 250 not ridden it yet (Recovering from Hernia op) but I have plugged it in to make sure it works.
I have a few questions if someone would be kind enough to answer if possible.

How can I tell if ECU is a fixed type or tuneable there is a small 4 pin plug along side the main plug also there is a sticker on it (DTK250F-122) ?

Will API ECU fit into original rubber ECU holder (it did not come with one) - ECU is different shape to original

KLX does not start as well as original ECU will this sort itself or can I do something to correct this.

Any other info regarding this ECU will be gratefully received.

Look forward to any replies
Many thanks
Alan

Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

The API’s technician said that your ECU was Thai version. It was not design and program for export and cannot adjust anything (by the reason of employer). For the basically solving please follow these step.
1. Park your bike for a night to cool engine at <25 degree Celsius
2. In the morning, start engine. You may have to push the button for a longer time.
3. When engine started, roll the screw at throttle to slow down the idle speed at 2000-2200rpm.
4. During adjusting, please done it as fast as you can. Because the ECU will switch to auto speed idle mode when the engine temperature higher than 40 degree Celsius, then you will cannot adjust the speed( if you try to, it will make your engine hard to start)
5. After engine work in auto speed idle mode, ECU will slow down to 1700rpm.
These step should help to you start your engine easier (unnecessary to open throttle) and feel more acceleration obviously.

If you need the programable ECU please wait for a testing result from Macelino or contact to APItechonline.com (http://www.apitechonline.com/smf/index.php?board=54.0).
For rubber holder, it's cost only 3-4Euro, please wait for the dealer in your country (It will been include in global version package).

Last edited by chatbovon; 08-01-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Guys for this thread.
I'm another one who is very interested on this programable ECU
I own a KLX-250SF (same as D-Tracker-X) factory year is 2009 but I bougth it this year 2011 brand new. I have some experience with dirt bike with fuel injection, using a Megasquirt Programable ECU, so I'll follow this thread until the Global version will become available.
By the way, I'm leaving in Brazil.
Thanks again, and regards.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

You're welcome, sindico440.

I forward your message to API guy. He said thank you for your interesting, Megasquirt also favourite in Thai ECU tuner too. It is the great place of ECU and program knowledge. He hope that API product will be known in your country.

Sincerely

Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you Chatbovon
I'm sure API will be known in Brazil very soon, because it seems to be a very nice and usefull ECU for KLX people and may be other bikes too.
Anxiosly waiting for news, on this thread.
Regards.

Quick Reply: Stand alone tuning ECU for KLX250