Stand alone tuning ECU for KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Versys and Er6n is the same engine.
There may be other setting for your juicebox specifically for big bore kits, I'd advise
you contact 2BR customer support on that.
Happy riding!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

can anyone explain how to adjust the throttle position sensor without software?
I have the manual(thanx joel) (and voltmeter)and want to be sure that the butterfly does not open without injecting fuel.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

any of you thought about just throwing a microsquirt on your bikes sence you already have fuel injection

Old 04-14-2012, 05:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 7808
any of you thought about just throwing a microsquirt on your bikes sence you already have fuel injection
I've just been checking out MicroSquirt reviews & watching videos on youtube & wow what a nice little gadget. Yet another different way to skin a cat!

Give it a year or two & we should have a definitive plug n play system that works for big bore kits on EFi.......it's kinda tiresome getting it working but when it does it puts a smile on ya face

Old 04-14-2012, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Given it is so much time and effort Joel, would you recommend to anyone just to simply remove the EFI system and put a carb on?

What are the biggest Pros and Cons for you?

I am going to be looking at the 351BB system hopefully soon, and as I am also in Thailand, I am not really sure if I should go through all the trouble and moderate expense of getting the EFI system to work or if I should just get the Mikuni carb?

Any advice or direction for more research would be appreciated!
And well done for being one of the first to get a bored EFI KLX working!!!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by denkiblue2
Given it is so much time and effort Joel, would you recommend to anyone just to simply remove the EFI system and put a carb on?

What are the biggest Pros and Cons for you?

I am going to be looking at the 351BB system hopefully soon, and as I am also in Thailand, I am not really sure if I should go through all the trouble and moderate expense of getting the EFI system to work or if I should just get the Mikuni carb?

Any advice or direction for more research would be appreciated!
And well done for being one of the first to get a bored EFI KLX working!!!
It has been worth it & it was a bit of an epic job but only in the amount of time it's taken. Not so much effort in reality but just getting stuff posted from the US & then waiting for my mechanic to have free time for my project & then waiting for APi to give me online tuning time with a tech guy has been a problem!

If I lived in Bangkok & could see APi for tuning sessions at my leisure & pay a mechanic to do the engine work on demand, this project would have been done in a week! two max....

Me & Jeff ward both agree that the 331 kit delivers a better power curve for our needs & hot weather use. Something for you to look into before pulling the trigger.

A guy called Tom forde on a Thai bike forum pulled out the Efi system & successfully fitted a carb to his 300 kit: KLX250 300cc Kit a success Mild to Wild

Last edited by JoelThailand; 04-14-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
It has been worth it & it was a bit of an epic job but only in the amount of time it's taken. Not so much effort in reality but just getting stuff posted from the US & then waiting for my mechanic to have free time for my project & then waiting for APi to give me online tuning time with a tech guy has been a problem!

If I lived in Bangkok & could see APi for tuning sessions at my leisure & pay a mechanic to do the engine work on demand, this project would have been done in a week! two max....

Me & Jeff ward both agree that the 331 kit delivers a better power curve for our needs & hot weather use. Something for you to look into before pulling the trigger.

A guy called Tom forde on a Thai bike forum pulled out the Efi system & successfully fitted a carb to his 300 kit: KLX250 300cc Kit a success Mild to Wild
Cheers for the feedback - very good points to consider!

I do live in BKK, so as you mentioned, that should actually make the project much more feasible. Why exactly do you guys prefer the 331 over the 351, just out of interest? You mentioned the weather - is this a potential overheating issue? With the power curve, where is the sweet spot? (I am looking for as much torque as possible, not so fussed about the high speed stuff). I am only about 55kg I should have mentioned too!!

I have actually read about a few EFI-removal conversions now - which is getting me very interested in the simplicity of just using a carb and having access to a bigger aftermarket range of fuel tanks. But it just seems crazy to take the EFI system off on the one hand I guess!

I am still not exactly sure if one injector from a 650cc Kawa twin wouldn't work as well - it looks like more research is in order!

Cheers again for the input - much appreciated!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by denkiblue2
Cheers for the feedback - very good points to consider!

I do live in BKK, so as you mentioned, that should actually make the project much more feasible. Why exactly do you guys prefer the 331 over the 351, just out of interest? You mentioned the weather - is this a potential overheating issue? With the power curve, where is the sweet spot? (I am looking for as much torque as possible, not so fussed about the high speed stuff). I am only about 55kg I should have mentioned too!!

I have actually read about a few EFI-removal conversions now - which is getting me very interested in the simplicity of just using a carb and having access to a bigger aftermarket range of fuel tanks. But it just seems crazy to take the EFI system off on the one hand I guess!

I am still not exactly sure if one injector from a 650cc Kawa twin wouldn't work as well - it looks like more research is in order!

Cheers again for the input - much appreciated!
If you live in BKK then the guys at APi will get your bike running perfectly & believe it or not, EFi is better than a carb when running correctly - much smoother power delivery in the low/mid rpm's!

I like the 331BB as it has a power curve more suited to SuperMoto street riding & because the 300 barrel has been bored out & nicasil plated, it runs cooler than a steel lined 351BB but if torque is your thing then the 351BB is for you! You can search this forum for the difference between wet & dry sleeve big bore kits if your unsure. It has been debated to death.

A good quality mikuni pumper & all the necessary conversion bits n bobs is not going to be cheap or as easy as you think. I hope you have a good mechanic, I have never let any Thai mechanic do anything other than basic servicing - they don't use torque wrenches, they have never been formally trained & will lie about there ability to do a major jobs like big bores kits or electrics....beware!

I would kill for an IMS tank, 100km range is a pain in the a@s but you get used to it!!

good luck

Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
If you live in BKK then the guys at APi will get your bike running perfectly & believe it or not, EFi is better than a carb when running correctly - much smoother power delivery in the low/mid rpm's!

I like the 331BB as it has a power curve more suited to SuperMoto street riding & because the 300 barrel has been bored out & nicasil plated, it runs cooler than a steel lined 351BB but if torque is your thing then the 351BB is for you! You can search this forum for the difference between wet & dry sleeve big bore kits if your unsure. It has been debated to death.

A good quality mikuni pumper & all the necessary conversion bits n bobs is not going to be cheap or as easy as you think. I hope you have a good mechanic, I have never let any Thai mechanic do anything other than basic servicing - they don't use torque wrenches, they have never been formally trained & will lie about there ability to do a major jobs like big bores kits or electrics....beware!

I would kill for an IMS tank, 100km range is a pain in the a@s but you get used to it!!

good luck
Once again - stirling advice!!

You may have just about tipped me towards keeping the EFI-system no questions. I suppose I am just debating the cost/risk/hassle of removing the system vs. the cost/risk/hassle of keeping the EFI system and the farkling required. Obviously there is loads of support/info out there regarding the carb'd version, but in your case you are a bit of a ginny pig!

I have access to a reliable translator and I believe if I spend enough time looking, I should be able to find a trustworthy person do the hard stuff!

Cheers again,

Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I can confirm the view Joelthailand: a motor by adjusting EFI has nothing to envy equipped with a carburetor.

I had the opportunity to conduct a klx300 with your carburetor and my KLX250/300EFI and no doubt for me: My EFI is much more progressive at low rpm, and most powerful media in the high rpm range as well as clearly superior. The engine pulled in power beyond 9000 with much enthusiasm and genius. In torque not envy any 250cc 4T, for more than 3kg of torque.
Not a pig grunting like the old XR rpm barely rise, more exciting, howling like a 125cc 2T.
It's a strange feeling of smoothness and power that does not transmit the carbureted model.
Back to top the KLX250 cylinder 300cc EFI!

Quick Reply: Stand alone tuning ECU for KLX250