Stand alone tuning ECU for KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure what it means but maybe it disables reading the CO sensor on the exhaust,
as mine was not doing to well on my 2BR exhaust.
I did not do the tuning, don't know how, a guy named Pong did it, supposedly the master in the field of API ecu tuning, and he was on it for 15 minutes from a template he had, he knew what he was doing from what i can tell.

If you back up your cfg file. you can try loading this one and see how that works.
My bike is doing pretty well on it right now.
I'm still evaluating how much gaz I use, ( was at 84 km between fuel light before this MAP running in the top end! ), but now the bike doesn't blow or backfires much anymore. My only problem at the moment is the engine stalls sometimes on low revs and gaz release.

As for injector capacity, the max is 27, i'm at 24 so there is still some margin left at 300 cc with the stock injector before maxing it out. Apparently, the versys injector would fit too but was told stock is fine for 300cc.

happy riding.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 AM
1st Gear Member

thanx jeffward,
I hope you mean this one

I know someone with a locally made 300 sleeve, which has been running well I'm told.(original ECU)
One of the sensors had to be disconnected for it to run well, I was told it's the choke sensor
So now I'm wondering if this will work with the 331 kit

Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

OK guys, at last I can report my 300 EFI is running perfectly. The guys at Dobeck Performance sent a reprogrammed EJK { Electronic Jet Kit}. I originally purchased a unit for stage 1 Mods on a 250 EFI. This was not delivering enough to the injectors to handle the 300 Kit.
After receiving a replacement unit, at no charge, a simple plug in of the new unit has delivered a perfectly behaved 300 EFI.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Congratulations!
Now enjoy it!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower
OK guys, at last I can report my 300 EFI is running perfectly. The guys at Dobeck Performance sent a reprogrammed EJK { Electronic Jet Kit}. I originally purchased a unit for stage 1 Mods on a 250 EFI. This was not delivering enough to the injectors to handle the 300 Kit.
After receiving a replacement unit, at no charge, a simple plug in of the new unit has delivered a perfectly behaved 300 EFI.
Finally, you got her running perfectly! Enjoy

Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm trying the 331KK kit with a juicebox.
hoping to get it installed today.
I have a juicebox. Can anyone recommend settings, or tell me it needs reprogramming, etc? Or it's not going to work?
If it wont work I'll get the API ECU

And will the ER6 injector plug/bolt straight in??

Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alric
The juice box will work but from what i've heard you will need to unplug the connector to the choke servo. Some research on other forums about this might help. I have a friend in Oz that did this & the bike flew after disconnecting the choke plug! Nothing you do with the buttons/settings will work until you do the above.....very frustrating indeed.

This as far as I know has never been tried......It would be great if you tried this injector & could report back! I have the BEET : NASSERT Bore 315 cc up for Injector unit [0679-K97-00] 315 BEET injector & it fits & works perfectly but will be much more $$ than a Kawasaki er6 injector. I believe the stock OEM injector will give enough juice for a standard 331 but not a 331 with lumpier CAMS or a bigger still 351 kit.

Be patient alric, it will take a while to get your bike running good. There are many ECU/PIGGYback/Controllers to choose from & none just plug n play for a 331 or 351 big bore. Good luck

Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM
1st Gear Member

It seems to run ok, will idle @1400rpm now with a plug disconnected. Red light stays on though.
I set the juicebox to bypass mode so it doesnt alter the ecu fuel settings.Seems to be a slight hesitation around 4200rpm, only ridden it home so far.
I read that the ER6 injector has 12 holes, and I don't know if it will improve anything.
I dont plan on any more power mods except maybe a new exhaust system/power bomb
Now to see what the bike does...

Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

There are other considerations than the diameter of the bolt with injectors such as pressure from tank pump, voltages, pin assignment.
There is no docs or precise specs that i could get from internet about this. It's made by keihin, their site is obscure.
I did ask the kawa dealer in bangkok and they said it was not compatible, for what it's worth. (But they are not really willing to help when they know you want to modify a bike, they even told me their own 300cc kit wouldn't work on the 250 dtracker. )

The stock one is enough for a 300cc as i did not experience any problems, the API chaps also confirmed this. Maybe you can start with it and see how the bike behaves first.

good luck with your mods.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I meant to say versys injector.
I have the specs for the klx injector in the manual.
Did a 200+km ride today, mostly dirt, the bike was running fine no problems.
I set the juicebox to the klx250 recommended settings all day

Quick Reply: Stand alone tuning ECU for KLX250