stall not start in water

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: stall not start in water

hey guys,

I opted to re-route the existing carb vent hoses on my bike..instaed of adding a T and a second set of hoses..I had it out for a short run tonite..not in water..just road ride and it seemed to run fine, BUT Iwas wondering if there was a difference between re-routing the hosescompared to adding the T and extra hose to each vent? or am I ok in re-routing alone? Thx again

Old 06-05-2007, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

If by "re-routing" you mean you pointed them up or made a dip in them, it will cause a problem. The carb vent is designed to allow thecarb bowl to have a atmospheric reference. Since the outside air pressure can't get in under water, the engine runs poorly or stalls. The problem is, when the bike is dumped gas can come out of the tube, and moisture can get inanytime. Since the line is normally running downthe moisture or gas just leaks outwhen normal operation resumes. If you run the line up, or create a dip where water or gas can collect it can block the line with no way to get rid of the offending liquid. Then you get the poor running and stalling, just likewhen you are in a deep puddle. Really it is the same result, the line is plugged. Even worse, a year from now when it happens, the last thing you will think of is your carb vent as you tear into various things trying to figure out why it runs bad.

The "T"mod, when correctly done, as shown in the picture attached by another member allows the best ofboth worlds. Air can get in (and out) even if the vent line is submerged, butthere is a placefor gas or water in the line to flow down and out.

So, no. Rerouting the line will not work. It needs to point down.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

AHHH Grasshopper.. you did not do the required reading of the entire KForum..