Southwest CO Trails

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

aaaah? Well, this site only allows 100kb files for zips, 20kb for pictures, that is no where close to identifable resolution. I guess the guys posting here use a "photo bucket" site and just link them? I never done that.

aaaah? Well, that is what I thought, my BaseCamp showed a lot of lines pretty close together, I didn't look at Google, figured I would get better actual info here. The one way was a surprise. I am working through my vertigo issues, but falling into an abis is not in the trip guide.

I was hoping for a fast & short in/out route to see the finish stage of the ProBike Tour of CO. I'll check out those other trails and probably have more questions.

aaaah? I am no evil kienevil, but I think I could have made the grand cannon, but you may not have been able to find the landing pieces. I don't like air time, but it is better than the landing.

I looked at that GoogleCO maps, that is what I need, great! Thanks! I did find the trail of which is on my BaseCamp map I sent you. But looking at the GoogleCO maps, that trail I proposed looks like it is not been used in 50 years. You can vaguely see the rock cuts for it, and it is out on some pretty barren sketchy areas without vertical relief. I think WE could do it, the GoogleCO maps have snow that is covering the upper section, just east of that pagg..... lake.

Last edited by durielk; 06-06-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:30 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

durielk, where exactly is the bike race ending? If you're staying in Silverton, maybe I can suggest a fast route over to Telluride...if that's where it's ending. Honestly, you can go from Silverton to Telluride over Ophir Pass quite quickly...1.5 hours at most if you scoot. That's a fast and easy route.

Yeah, on your Garmin route there, I can see the detail in your e-mail. That's Ptarmigan Lake. If you do Imogene Pass, you can see what was probably an old wagon route to some of the mines in the area of San Antonio and down to 550 way back in the day. You'll see it's barely a foot path now with avalanche wipeouts and slides destroying any real route that way. Looking at maps of this area if you haven't ridden there give the impression of short, easy distances, but it's not the case. I think you'll find enough challenge and fun doing Black Bear and Imogene for a good loop. And remember Ophir Pass for a much faster crossover from 550 to Telluride if time is critical.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. The exact route of the bike race probably is still up in the air, but it starts in Durango, takes 160 to 145 to telluride and probably ends up at the ski lodge somewhere to be determined by the race promotors. My idea is to see the start in Durango, Drive up 550 to go to telluride the back way to see the finish. Most cars/RV's will not have my secret travel weapon, Kawa 350, so going on the trails up the back side of the mountain I think I can make it. The riders will take about 5 hours to pedal to telluride.
So I am interested in your suggestions, either post or email, thanks.
I figured I'll just park my van/trailer somewhere along 550 for the day and return in the late afternoon for the night.

We have a lot of those mining roads out here in AZ, looking at them on google and then seeing them in person, sometimes is a shock, especially if they have avalanche issues or you find out the trail is made of those bowling ball rocks, yech!

Last edited by durielk; 06-06-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah...you can make that route easily and quickly. After the start, just go up 550 like you're already considering. The absolute fastest way will be up 550 to Silverton and then go 6-8 miles north of Silverton and turn left on Ophir Pass road. It joins 145 a few miles south of Telluride and even less mileage to the turnoff to the ski area. The bike you're riding might make a difference here also. That Ophir Pass route is suitable for nearly any DS bike, even done by many on big beemers and v-twin KTMs. Now, if you're riding the KLX, you have even more options, as I think you'll easy beat the bikers even if you take Black Bear, Barlow, and probably even Imogene. Your BMW will even be suitable on that Barlow road route. It goes from the Hermosa Creek road at the Purgatory ski area on 550...or whatever name they're calling it now...and joins up with 145 at Cayton campground just south of Lizard Head Pass. This is a beautiful ride without any real difficulty. The Imogene route might be pushing it a bit for time and distance. I think I'd suggest the Barlow road route, as it sounds like your outing here may be more of a BMW ride. Either Ophir or Barlow will get you there on either bike without much drama and a nice scenery experience on the way. Maybe the best loop would be to do the Barlow route going up to Telluride and return via the Ophir route since you're getting late in the day by then. If a common afternoon thundershower pops up, it's a long haul back on pavement...but then...those showers aren't usually really heavy or very long in duration. Still, be careful of lightning, as I'm sure you already know.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

It looks to me that the Pro Road Cycling tour is travelling from Durango to Telluride along Highway 145. I don't believe that they will allow any motorists access to Hwy 145 while the race is ongoing, including you and your motorcycle. That may mean if you cross over from Hwy 550 to 145 as Thad is saying, but you still might not be given access to Hwy 145. I really don't know either way. By the way the Imogine Pass is one of those that have baby head rocks and an elevation of 13,000 feet. Black Bear has an elevation of 12600 or so feet and has a difficult steps section that most people find scary and challenging. I have ridden neither but have seen plenty of ride reports and photos of the area.

Another really long option/but easy would be to take Hwy 550 up to Ridgeway then take HWY 62 to Last Dollar Road, park your van there and ride the motorcyle into Telluride.

Heck if the Pro Cyclists weren't such sissy's they would ride the Calico Trail instead of Hwy 145, right Thad.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fooswolf
It looks to me that the Pro Road Cycling tour is travelling from Durango to Telluride along Highway 145. I don't believe that they will allow any motorists access to Hwy 145 while the race is ongoing, including you and your motorcycle. That may mean if you cross over from Hwy 550 to 145 as Thad is saying, but you still might not be given access to Hwy 145. I really don't know either way. By the way the Imogine Pass is one of those that have baby head rocks and an elevation of 13,000 feet. Black Bear has an elevation of 12600 or so feet and has a difficult steps section that most people find scary and challenging. I have ridden neither but have seen plenty of ride reports and photos of the area.

Another really long option/but easy would be to take Hwy 550 up to Ridgeway then take HWY 62 to Last Dollar Road, park your van there and ride the motorcyle into Telluride.

Heck if the Pro Cyclists weren't such sissy's they would ride the Calico Trail instead of Hwy 145, right Thad.
LOL!...yeah, I think even Lance Armstrong who is a darned good MTB'er would have a challenge on Calico. It's a good point on that highway access issue during the race. Since it's a major artery for that area on 145, I'm betting they don't close it until they have to. durielk should be able to make it to 145 on either route well before the cyclists get there, and since he's going north from that point, you'd think he would be OK to proceed.

I tell ya...I'm an MTB'er and even ride my roadbike occasionally...even work part time at a bicycle shop...but these prissy little roadbike guys clogging up highways with their little bike races doesn't set well with me. They all seem to think they're Tour De France guys or something. I'm sure that'll set off some people, but that's just the way I feel. They also clogged up 550 a week or two ago with another bike race. Sorry...I feel the highways are for the majority of people who are trying to use them for their intended purpose...especially during tourist season. I think you're right, foos...put 'em on Calico...LOL!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, we are getting close. I’m only taking 2 bikes, limited room, my Kawa 350 for the DS ride & my Time Pedal bike for alternate days. Right now the BMW is staying home. Please review and let me know if you’re familiar with these routes. Taking the Hermosa Creek one may work as they usually have a rolling road blockage, but you never know. It should be a pretty fast trip from Durango up to Silverton & the turn off, then a 8 mile moto ride over to 145. I may be able to get my Time on the moto, in case I have to ride pedal bike on 145 to the finish.
…. I answered your post, my response is in caps!

Oh yeah...you can make that route easily and quickly. After the start, just go up 550 like you're already considering. The absolute fastest way will be up 550 to Silverton and then go 6-8 miles north of Silverton and turn left on Ophir Pass road. It joins 145 a few miles south of Telluride and even less mileage to the turnoff to the ski area.
THIS LOOKS LIKE IT COULD WORK, IT IS VERY SHORT. I’LL NEED TO BEAT THE 145 CLOSEURE.

Your BMW will even be suitable on that Barlow road route. It goes from the Hermosa Creek road at the Purgatory ski area on 550...or whatever name they're calling it now...and joins up with 145 at Cayton campground just south of Lizard Head Pass.
THIS LOOKS LIKE IT IS FURTHER AWAY FROM TELLURIDE, THAT WOULD BE A PROBLEM ON USING IT TO GET THERE.

Imogine Pass 13,000 is one of those that have baby head rocks.
I DON’T KNOW IF I LIKE THE SOUND OF THIS…. If it is just a mile section or something, maybe, if it is mostly baby head’s or at steep sections, I’ll think I’ll forget it.

Black Bear has an elevation of 12600 or so feet and has a difficult steps section that most people find scary and challenging.
IS THIS THE ROUTE YOU DESCRIBED VIA HERMOSA CREEK ROAD? “Black Bear” is hard to find on yahoo or garmin basecamp.

”Heck if the Pro Cyclists weren't such sissy's they would ride the Calico Trail instead of Hwy 145, right Thad.” YOU HAVE NO IDEA THE PAIN YOU WOULD GO THROUGH KEEPING UP WITH THOSE PEDAL BIKE GUYS. MOTO WORK IS A PIECE OF CAKE!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I was being sarcastic, as I wouldn't want to ride a bicycle through the mountains. I have a hard enough time in Nebraska where it is nice and flat. I used to ride recreationally quite a bit, but I haven't in quite some time. However the Calico Trail is hard on a motorcycle it would be fckn brutal on a bicycle. I have only seen vidios and pictures of the Calico trail as my skills and physical endurance would either leave me wanting for more skills or dead at the bottom of the mountain. The Calico Trail is located near Rico Colorado (South of Ophir) and just west of Hwy 145 where the bicyclists will be riding.

If you look at a map of Telluride Colorado you will see trail that zig zags up the mountain, that is black bear. It is very near Imogene Pass on a map.

Imogene is mostly good easy road but as I've heard it described as you get to the top it gets harder with baby heads.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I'll skip Black Bear. I can see why it is one way now. It doesn't look that difficult, but the pucker factor at the Adios Pass would be pretty high. If ATV's can do it, moto's a piece of cake. The only factor is all those loose rocks, tripping your front wheel out. I'll be a party of 1, only takes one miscue and your stuck there hopefully for only one night.

So it looks like Ophir Pass is the only solution this side of eternity?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I think I'll skip Black Bear. I can see why it is one way now. It doesn't look that difficult, but the pucker factor at the Adios Pass would be pretty high. If ATV's can do it, moto's a piece of cake. The only factor is all those loose rocks, tripping your front wheel out. I'll be a party of 1, only takes one miscue and your stuck there hopefully for only one night.

So it looks like Ophir Pass is the only solution this side of eternity?
Ophir is definitely your easiest and fastest route. On Black Bear you wouldn't have to worry about spending the night on the tight squeeze spot. You'd either fall off to the left and be dead, or one of many tourists who frequent that spot would come by and help you. I went over BB last August with a couple of guys on those huge BMW1200GS models all loaded for traveling. One guy actually made it on his own, but the second guy had to be rescued and helped downhill by a 4WD tour truck full of tourists. Still, they basically did it without getting killed...LOL! I was on my KLX which was a little easier getting it down. I've done it in the past on a KLR650, but I was younger and dumber then.

On the physical effort and difficulty of riding a road or MTB in that area of Colorado?...oh yeah...I know it's extreme. I go to Moab...not Colorado for MTB'ing. Much of Colorado is too steep for my taste on a bicycle.