Map for finding trails! (it works now)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Default Map for finding trails! (it works now)

I know some of you know about these sites but I went out for a ride and wanted to find it on a map and found this cool site. http://local.live.com I have been using it to find trails in my area and see where they go. It works great! You can use the road map to find where you are then switch to hybrid or satellite view to find the trails.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Map for finding trails!

LOL I found my house on that site, kind of like google earth.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:34 PM

It's actually better then Maps.google.com. Googles maps are over 3 years old and Live's maps are less then a year old. I was able to figure this out by all the construction in my area. There was a school built over 3 years old that is not on google.And the new signs are on the deli at the end of my street that were put up last April appear on Live....

Greg

Old 01-26-2007, 03:29 PM

The maps are still old for Abilene, our housing areastill isn't on there. I guess that's good that way on one can look up where I live[8D]. Regardless, still a good map source.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Ya, some of the maps are different ages the more you zoom in. But it is still a great way to find trails. One of the great things about our KLX's is finding trails to explore (which is hard to do in my area without knowing where to look)

Old 01-29-2007, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

One of the great things about our KLX's is finding trails to explore (which is hard to do in my area without knowing where to look)
[/quote]

This is exactly why I own a dual sport. Here in SW ColoradoI drive down the highway in one of three directions, look for the next "National Forest Access" road sign that I have yet to explore and go for it. There are usually trails that just get less and less passable. Unfortunately the feds have already closed a lot of these trails. But I can understand, when we are out hiking the last thing we want is to have someone blasting single track coming upon the group. Co-existance is probably the best approach. But that has it's own set of issues.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mmatz

One of the great things about our KLX's is finding trails to explore (which is hard to do in my area without knowing where to look)

This is exactly why I own a dual sport. Here in SW ColoradoI drive down the highway in one of three directions, look for the next "National Forest Access" road sign that I have yet to explore and go for it. There are usually trails that just get less and less passable. Unfortunately the feds have already closed a lot of these trails. But I can understand, when we are out hiking the last thing we want is to have someone blasting single track coming upon the group. Co-existance is probably the best approach. But that has it's own set of issues.
[/quote]

Hey mmatz you live in colorado dont you. i live in parker. have you looked at Taylor Park. near Buena vista i think that is how you spell it great littl spot to ride. a dual sporters dream. good luck. just thought i would time in.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Map for finding trails! (it works now)

ORIGINAL: EvildoerZX10R

I know some of you know about these sites but I went out for a ride and wanted to find it on a map and found this cool site. http://local.live.com I have been using it to find trails in my area and see where they go. It works great! You can use the road map to find where you are then switch to hybrid or satellite view to find the trails.
Thanks Man, it seems to have all the fire roads and trails we ride!! Very cool!!

Old 01-29-2007, 05:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I can't get anything from this site.

Ah, nevermind, I figured it out. That Microsoft site displays nothing on the Mac native browser. Hmmm ... coincidence? I think not!

Works under firefox, though.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:06 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Bleh, the maps for my area are ancient. My house is 10 years old and it's not even on there.

Good response, though, faster than Google maps or Google Earth.

Quick Reply: Map for finding trails! (it works now)