Some questions ablout the klx 250s

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Default RE: Some questions ablout the klx 250s

Hmmm... maybe I didn't get the front pad seated properly, or I have a ltitle air in my lines somewhere. My front brake is far form powerful, I don't think a stoppie is even possible unless I run into a curb or fallen log. I'm used to the very firm brakes sportbikes have. It feels like I could pull the lever on my KLX almost to the bar and still not lock-up the front tire. Maybe I'll try bleeding it, and removing the pads and taking some sandpaper to them, then reseating them. When i test rode the bike, I was fiarly easy on the brakes and didn't think to do a couple long hard stops in the parking lot first. I also only use 2 fingers. Mostly a habit form sportbiek riding, but it also allows my to blip the throttle easier for smooth downshifts. I'm impressed how much compression braking there is for such a small motor... although the intake and exhaust restrictions probably have a little to do with that as well.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

My front brake sucked for a couple hundred miles. It will now skid the front tire if I squeeze hard enough.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I know what you mean, I had a GPz550 and I could lock the front wheel with 2 fingers, however the KLX is not a road (sports) bike and for the application I think it has excellent brakes at least they are far better than my KLR250. Lets face it do you really wanna be thinking about locking the front when your facing a narly steep rocky downhill section? I sure don't

Old 02-17-2006, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

Hmmm... maybe I didn't get the front pad seated properly, or I have a ltitle air in my lines somewhere. My front brake is far form powerful, I don't think a stoppie is even possible unless I run into a curb or fallen log. I'm used to the very firm brakes sportbikes have. It feels like I could pull the lever on my KLX almost to the bar and still not lock-up the front tire. Maybe I'll try bleeding it, and removing the pads and taking some sandpaper to them, then reseating them.
I would guess the front brakes are fine for it's purpose. There is a reason Kawasaki designed them that way, you really wouldn't want to lock up the front brakes in the woods going down a steep hill!!! Truth be told, you just don't need sport bike stopping power on a dual sport machine. Remember, sport bikes need to slow down quickly from high speeds. Some guys are buying the DRZ super motard, and then buying dual sport tires and wheels for it. I'd imagine you could do a stoppie with the DRZSM, as this has a great big ole front brake on it.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:44 AM

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus
Lets face it do you really wanna be thinking about locking the front when your facing a narly steep rocky downhill section? I sure don't
Yes... I know how to ride. j/k Really, I don't want touchy or grabby brakes, but you want feedback (sensation of the amount of line pressure) and enough power to use as few as 2 fingers. Bottom line is that I want enough power to make maximum use of the front tire grip available in all conditions including dry pavement.

I've ridden downhill on some fairly steep, washboard gravel roads before on my sportbike, and despite all that braking power, I was able to very easily feather the front brake to control my descent without tucking the front end.

Right now it's not cutting it, but it's not dangerous. I'll give it few hundred more miles to see how it is.

For the record, the most powerful brakes of any 2 wheel vehicle I've ridden are on my mountain bike... and they are mechanical rim brakes. If I carefully psotion my body, I can lock up the front wheel and dry pavement and stop suprisingly fast from as high has 20mph. Actually because of the high seat height and short wheelbase, the rear brake is only useful for medium barking in a stright line or trail braking into a corner.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:05 PM

quote:
I'd imagine you could do a stoppie with the DRZSM, as this has a great big ole front brake on it.

I had one of the DRZ400SM last spring and summer, and yes, the brakes are truly spectacular in power. Really good sticky sportbike tires, too -- stoppies would be a piece of cake, if you wanted to try it. (I didn't!)
I could corner that thing so far over that I would scare myself sometimes, and it would take it and ask for more (if I dared). You actually could knee-drag on that bike.