Some questions ablout the klx 250s

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Default Some questions ablout the klx 250s

I have a few questions about this bike hoping you guys could answer for me. On avg. how many miles can you get on a stock tank of gas or mpg. Has anybody put a aftermarket pipe on or do they even make one yet. Does the bike have enough power to say wheelie in second gear. i read some where the front brakes are weak is this true(i think they say this about every kawi and i've never minded the front brakes on my kx's) I guess that is all i can think of now i am really considering this bike because the hole idea screams fun for this ex-motocrosser,and i like my dads KLR 650 but think the 250 would be more of a play bike.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Some questions ablout the klx 250s

The tank is good for between 90 and 100 miles before reserve, another 20 after that. It's the only downside to this bike I can see.

Power when bone stock is just OK. Easy, cheap, simple mods make a huge difference. Opening up the airbox and jetting the carb make 2nd gear wheelies very possible. A 13th front sprocket (down from the stock 14t) also helps a lot.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:20 AM

I've only had the biek for a few days and yes the front brake feels weak to me. I'm used to the brakes on a sportbike. The rear brake however is excellent, descent feed back and not too grabby. I think some stainless steel braided lines will help the front brake. Mostly its' a little mushy without much feel. Right now I'd have to really work a little to pull a stoppie.

The small fuel tank is a little annoying. You get 60 or 70 miles inot a ride and you have ot start thinking seriously about finding a gas station. On back roads you can get 20-20 miles away from a gas station. I only got 50-55mpg on my first 2 tanks. It was 90% dirt roads and I figure the engine is still a little tight. I'm avoiding steady crusing on the break-in. I figure 55-60 should be normal for most riding. 60+ is probably possible if you keep the speeds under 50mph and short shift it a little (keep revs under 6000). Personally I've rather have fun and get 55mpg, than baby it just to get 60mpg. Oh.. I'm also 5'11", 190lbs, and I cruise at 50-60 on the dirt backroads.

Overall a fun bike so far. I wish I had some tight trails and twistier roads ot play on nearby. I have ot get it to a off-road park soon. I can't wait to finish the motor modifications. I also hear the FMF will have available in the US the "Q series" exhaust specific for this bike. This is still a street legal exhaust, with spark arrestor, but it should give a meatier sound, and drop some weight.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:55 AM

I just picked mine up last monday. I bought it based on comments in this forum. I am very satisfied with the bike. The suspension is awesome. The power is good. I will change my gearing based on my trail riding prefferences. The bike feels very nimble and lightweight like you can do anything with it. Everytime I ride on the street it seems to beg me to take it offroad almost like it's pulling me to take the ditch instead of the road. No complaints here.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JazZ023

I have a few questions about this bike hoping you guys could answer for me. On avg. how many miles can you get on a stock tank of gas or mpg. Has anybody put a aftermarket pipe on or do they even make one yet. Does the bike have enough power to say wheelie in second gear. i read some where the front brakes are weak is this true(i think they say this about every kawi and i've never minded the front brakes on my kx's) I guess that is all i can think of now i am really considering this bike because the hole idea screams fun for this ex-motocrosser,and i like my dads KLR 650 but think the 250 would be more of a play bike.
Hey Jazz023, I have been avg. 58 mpg this is riding 50-50 50% on road 50% off,Second gear wheelies no, at least not for me after i changed the gearing i can get the front up in first and lite in 2nd, 13 tooth front 45 rear.On the brakes i find them quit exceptable. All around i love this bike it feel good on the pavement and it is at home in the dirt. Hope this info helps.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, front brakes are fantastic if they were any better you would go over the bars thats my 2c worth anyway

Old 02-15-2006, 07:43 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Maybe it's just me but I didn't even hit the reserve until 75 miles. The bike should get nearly 140 miles on one tank, but it will be lower with the sprocket change and driving habits.

deej

Old 02-15-2006, 09:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I only get 146 km's till I hit reserve

Old 02-15-2006, 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

Wow, front brakes are fantastic if they were any better you would go over the bars thats my 2c worth anyway
I especially like the back brake, compared to the KLR250 -- night and day difference in the brakes of the KLR and KLX.
The KLX brakes are really good -- the thing that actually limits stopping power on the road, is the tire-grip, since the brakes can lock up the tires any time you want to. If it had street (supermoto!) tires, it would really stop quick. Very good brakes, front and rear. Hard to do a "stoppie", because the stock front tire will usually slip before gripping enough to raise the rear.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:38 AM

Hey thanks guys,
This info is great. i love the following for this bike on the forum. I know so much about the bike already its better than a test ride. So with all this good news Im going to go look at 1 this weekend. (sounds like i should take my truck haha)

Thanks again for the help

Quick Reply: Some questions ablout the klx 250s