So what's a KLR 650 about

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default So what's a KLR 650 about

I know some of you have them. I hear a lot of people dis them but there are like 12 billion sold.

No doubt not a KLX for the dirt. So how do you use yours and what are the pros and cons of the bike?

Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

With an upgraded suspension and some other work (Balancer Lever adjustment system...aka "Doohickey"), foot pegs, carb work, handlebars, ThermoBob (not a neccessity, but, well worth it), better brakes, bash-plate, changing glass fuses to hard ones, clutch and sidestand bypass (if you so choose to take those potentially troublesome items out), wiring loom checked for rubbing in a certain spot on the pre-2008 models), enricher relocated, it becomes a front-heavy, rugged, reliable adventure bike that can literally go almost anywhere most anyone would take a motorcycle. Parts are plentiful, support is widespread, upgrades are abundant. It will run 75 mph on the highway without much problem (it has about 35-38 HP), with some modicum of air blast protection. I just can't talk myself into getting rid of mine. I can explore all sorts of terrain, and bring back my KLX whenever I determine the trail lends itself to a smaller bike. I've ridden the KLR all around Death Valley in relative comfort, and I've ridden the KLX on the LA-Barstow-Vegas ride...where I think I might have preferred the KLR...because the KLR is more comfortable for an all-day ride, and, as I said, with the right suspension upgrades: if the bike will physically fit through a spot, I can usually ride it through that trail.

It ain't no KTM or Husaberg, but, it ain't got the price tag nor persnickitiness of those higher performance bikes, either. It truly isn't great at anything, except that it can do just about everything.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I have been thinking of a road bike for my local highway stints. But I am 50/50 since my actual miles on the highway is pretty brief. The KLX almost cuts it but it is a but tiring fighting the wind in that regard. A road bike would make those days more pleasant. A KLR may too and still allow me to take the back roads etc.

I kind of like the early model looks. A bit less bulky in the front. Are there significant reasons to get a newer (2008+) if I were to get one?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

^^^^^What both of them said.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Worlds best selling dual sport.

Ill never get ride of the klx or klr.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a new 2008 KLR650 and kept it for a year. Farkled it out pretty good for dirt riding. But, I dropped it seven times during that year, usually because of poor footing when stopped, and always needed help to pick it up. I am old and weak though so that might not be as much of a problem for a younger guy.

I really liked the KLR and had no trouble on dirt with it, (as long as I was moving) I thought it a pretty good all around bike but wanted something I could pick up by myself so I sold it and bought my KLX.

My son bought a new 2008 DR650 same day I bought my KLR. He's done both serious dirt and highway miles on the DR and has said if he could only have one bike it would probably be the DR. He laid the DR down once to see if I could pick it up by myself and I could. I've been thinking some recently about replaceing the KLX with a DR to have a more "all around" bike.

Norm

Old 05-05-2012, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I have heard those DR's are pretty bullet proof too.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I prefer the pre-08 KLR's...mostly because they will run without a battery if need be, there is less to break when they are dropped (in the tank shroud area), and I know the IMS tanks fit great on the older ones, negating the need for shrouds. SOME of the 08's had rings that were too hard, and didn't seat well, and therefore burn oil. But, the 08's and newer have better brakes, and bigger fork tubes...but, you have to remove the fork tubes to drain them on the 08's and newer, whereas the older ones have a bleed-screw.

The DR's are wonderful bikes, too...they are better in the dirt, but not as good on the road as the KLR. Being air cooled, you could argue the DR's are simpler (and MAYBE lighter?), but, the engine probably won't last as long as a water-cooled engine, especially if the ThermoBob is on the KLR. Then again, how many of you actually keep a bike until the engine dies?

There's probably just no single perfect bike. Enjoy the one(s) you choose to own, or, get something else that you enjoy better. Rinse and repeat. I had to sell one of my three bikes, and it was my CB919; great bike, but, the KLR will take me anywhere the CB would (although not in as much style, nor with as much acceleration/braking capabilities), PLUS the KLR goes off-road much better than the CB did (ha!). Still, if it's not a long road ride nor a long day in the saddle, I prefer my KLX...it's just so much more "flickable".

Old 05-05-2012, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the wisdom on this.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I think of the KLR and DRs(and the DRZ also) as being the "Ford F150s" of adventure bikes. Stock, they are great dirt road-paved road bikes. I own the DR with a few mods, like a good seat, and its a wonderful bike.