So I drowned the bike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

When I blew my HG (lots of coolant mixed with oil) I went to walmart and got two filters, four gallons of distilled water, and a big jug of the cheap crap 20w50 oil.

drained oil and coolant - kept same filter, but emptied filter and scooped out holder
filled with oil and distilled water, kept rad top off, started the bike
Let it run a few mins, shut it down, drain everything.
Did that two more times changing the filter on the second and third flush. Also on the second and third I let it run till the fan kicked on and the thermo opened up.

Fourth time I filled it with good bike oil, and mixture of distilled water + water wetter.

It took two - three flushes to get all the oil looking 100% again. I wouldn't be driving it till you did a realllly good oil flush. Probably don't have to worry about coolant in your case, but I'd do it anyway just to be 100%.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

One the most recent change, I got some near new looking oil coming out (finally!). Only a hint of white towards the end of the oil drainage. I am now taking the bike on mellow trips, letting it warm up fully and keeping the RPM's down but trying to thoroughly cycle the good oil through. The bike seems to be pretty happy... I'll just have to do a little tune when my parts arrive and hopefully things will stay good.

Thanks for all the help and info!