So I drowned the bike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

You should replace the filter asap. Internally the filters are paper and the water could make them fall apart, and its possible some of it could get carried away by the oil flow and block an oil passage. That could cause major headaches.

Originally Posted by cjcrashesalot
Thanks!
Shops around here are closed on sunday too

Air filter is on the list, and I guess since I already have tank off I may as well pull the carb.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses.

An update:

I changed the oil 4 times last night, and it went from a milk color to more of a frappuccino look I also took out the carb to make sure no water was left there, and I changed the plug as well.

I put new oil in before I went to bed, hoping there wasn't enough water left to cause any rust. Today, it started right up. It seems to be running at about 90%, but I could be over scrutinizing it right now. I went for a 20 minute ride just to get it warmed up and the oil flowing. Anyways, I'm just going to keep changing the oil till it looks good again. And a oil filter is on order!

Thanks for all the help! Ill let everyone know just exactly how many changes it takes.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Give the carb' a good clean, not forgetting to blow through all the hoses. A liberal dose of WD40 wouldn't go a miss while you're at it. Water in the carb' is a big no no. Tough bikes anyway. Just keep the blood clean and it'll last a very long time.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on it being fine. I really doubt you did any damage. Drive easy but keep at full operating temp to dissipate any residual water. Long easy trips should fix her up. I also agree to change the oil filter. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Good luck. Hope you get all the water out.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 AM
1st Gear Member

oil filter is important do that with an oil change

Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

You said an oil filter is on order - you can get them at Walmart for $5.00 - Fram CH6015 I believe is the right one..

The more you know!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
You said an oil filter is on order - you can get them at Walmart for $5.00 - Fram CH6015 I believe is the right one..

The more you know!

I have heard about those... unfortunately the closest wal-mart is 30 miles away

Yes, I live in a remote area (Crested Butte)

I may make the trip though, thanks!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I hear ya on not wanting to go to wal mart, I just buy like 5 of them at a time so I dont have ta go back for a long long long time. I too sunk my bike by blind jumping it into an unsuspecting mud hole out on the trail. The rest of the mud pits were at most a foot deep, this one was up to my pocket of my pants in the middle (where the bike came to a stop). he bottom was the icky gooy quick sand like mud that actually sucked my boot off too haha. Got the bike out with the help of a friend drained the bowl of the carb, pulled the plug cranked it over a few times, put the plug back in and away I went. Chnaged the oil like 5 times before the oil started to look like oil again and not a chocolate milk shake.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Plan on 3 oil changes without putting any miles on it.

Quick Reply: So I drowned the bike...