Smog stuff. My bike does not have what is in this picture?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

The B&B plate is inexpensive, like under $10 shipped. Don't buy it for the good looks though, It's in behind the frame etc. , you never see it.
Dan

Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
I don't think Canadian 2009 models have any smog stuff.
My Canandian 07 had the air injection system. Removed since last year...

I guess the Canadian 09 had it too.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you notice anything different after removing the air injection system?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:56 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by seth6025
Did you notice anything different after removing the air injection system?
Seth, you won't notice any performance difference. If you use one of those temp sensor devices that you point at a given area on the engine, you'll probably see a decrease in exhaust pipe temp because there won't be a secondary burn going on.

Now, this brings up the idea that maintaining exhaust gas temps actually helps with flow of the gases out of the pipe. This is one reason you see those ugly exhaust pipe wrap setups on head pipes on some cars and motorcycles. That wrap does two things. First it reduces the heat radiating from the headers to keep the rider more comfortable and the underhood temp in a car lower for more efficiency. Second it supposedly helps with the thermodynamics of the exhaust gas flow out of the pipe. This second feature goes on the theory that "maintaining" the temps from the combustion chamber helps with the flow out of the pipe. The air injection system is actually raising the exhaust gas temps, and no one is claiming that this improves performance...but no one is claiming that it really hurts either.

I didn't mind this system on a couple of Kawasaki road bikes that I owned, because the OEM header pipes were double-walled and the pipes ran below my feet. But it had to be disabled if you were goint run an aftermarket performance pipe, because most of them were single-walled and would turn almost black from their chrome finish, or burn off all the paint if they were painted black. On our KLX's where the pipe is running up the side of the bike by your right leg, I don't want any more heat than necessary.

The bottom line is that the system has more rubber parts and hoses to age and crack and cause trouble down the road...or trail...and it produces heat that I don't want.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Tnc, thanks for the great explaination. If I were going to remove this setup would I be ok following the instructions for removing the smog stuff on the california model minus the stuff I don't have? Would I still be plugging the same tubes and such?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by seth6025
Tnc, thanks for the great explaination. If I were going to remove this setup would I be ok following the instructions for removing the smog stuff on the california model minus the stuff I don't have? Would I still be plugging the same tubes and such?
I'm not familiar with the CA model's components. My 49-state '06 KLX had the reed valve fitting at the front of the cylinder head to be plugged and the vacuum stub on top of the carb's intake manifold if I recall. It's been about 4 years now. It's a decent amount of hose plumbing that you remove, but only those two spots to plug, if I recall correctly.