Smog Crap, Crank Breather, Carb Throttle Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Smog Crap, Crank Breather, Carb Throttle Sensor

ORIGINAL: KLXer

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako
One advantage to the smog stuff that most people don't realize, it helps keep your oil cleaner by removing gasses from the crankcase.
How do you figure that? It takes whatever air is in the intake tract, after the filter, & injects it into the exhaust tract of the head.
think he's talking about the PCV system

Old 02-20-2008, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

If the reference was to the crank case vent it still does not make sense as short of plugging the hose, it is always vented out of the crank case. Whether you run it top the airbox, a pod filter, etc.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

ORIGINAL: KLXer

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako
One advantage to the smog stuff that most people don't realize, it helps keep your oil cleaner by removing gasses from the crankcase.
How do you figure that? It takes whatever air is in the intake tract, after the filter, & injects it into the exhaust tract of the head.
think he's talking about the PCV system

Yep, It works the same, just a little different.

The crankcase vent allows "Pulses" of air to escape. Air inside the case has to go somewhere when the piston moves up & down. The vent on top of the engine allows trapped gasses to be vaccumed out by a vaccum pump which is then routed to the airbox to be sucked back through the engine to be burned, again.

I keep the EPA smog crap on because it does no harm for performance and helps keep the air we breath a little more clean. No, I'm not a tree hugging hippie. [:-]

Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I know how it works---but they are 2 independent systems that have nothing to do with each other really.

The crank case vent shoots air to the airbox to be burned

The smog pump sends filtered air from the box to the exhaust.

They are not piped together, you cant say it goes from one to the other, although by chance a small portionmay. Removing the smog system has nothing to do with the crank case vent & vice versa.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

On the subject of smog crap, I looked at some pics of where its ment to be on the forums and I had a look at my bike and I carnt see it. Probably not looking in the right place because I am a absolute novice with engines.

I am in Australia so i was wondering if the Aussie version even has it? I got them to put my aftermarket pipe on when I got it serviced and the valves done then I asked them to rejet it accordingly.

It now pops quite a bit on decel. I am wondering if they just jetted it too lean or if it is the smog stuff.

Can someone please point me in the correct direction on this?

Thankyou Muchly
Glen

Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Look right where the exhaust pipe comes out of the engine. You will see a rectangular cover held on with 2 bolts. If there is a hose hooked to it follow it back & you will see it. If there is no hose it was probably removed.