You got my interest, sign me up.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Smog air injection block off plate--checking interest

I'm in!!!

Old 07-13-2007, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

A little off topic, but what's the benefit of removing the smog equipment? Just less weight/clutter around the engine or is there a performance boost too? Anyone have any troubles with state inspection (DMV) checking to see if it's still there?

Just curious, thanks.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

No performance bemefit to removing it outside of a few ounces saved. It clutters things up & I'm a fan of KISS & I dont mean the band. On the off chance you would ever want to dyno your bike with an A/F meter you would have to block it off to get a correct reading.

1. Me
2. JB7
3. RC927
4. mrphone
5. jimmyjet
6. mooredan
7. EJ
8. doitinthewoods
9. JB1?
10. mustang?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

KLXer, you can remove the question mark next to my name. I'm definitely in.

ORIGINAL: vtgreen

A little off topic, but what's the benefit of removing the smog equipment? Just less weight/clutter around the engine or is there a performance boost too? Anyone have any troubles with state inspection (DMV) checking to see if it's still there?

Just curious, thanks.
For those of us running a pumper carb, there is no vacuum port to connectto the air pump, so basically it's useless weight now. Here in PA, there are no emission tests (visual or sniffer) on motorcycles, so it's not a problem.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

No performance bemefit to removing it outside of a few ounces saved. It clutters things up & I'm a fan of KISS & I dont mean the band. On the off chance you would ever want to dyno your bike with an A/F meter you would have to block it off to get a correct reading.

1. Me
2. JB7
3. RC927
4. mrphone
5. jimmyjet
6. mooredan
7. EJ
8. doitinthewoods
9. JB1?
10. mustang?
you are right in all the cases that you listed the air pump is only there to pump air into the engine and make it burn hotter so that when it comes out the tail pipe almost all of the smog is gone and it helps to not plug up the catalitic converter. that is it. good luck all oyu have to do is make a plate that out lines the plug and then put the bolts back in. KISS!!!

Old 07-14-2007, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Also, if you ad a pumper carb, you won't be able to accomodate the air recirc plumbing unless you fab-up some sort of adapter.

ORIGINAL: KLXer

1. Me
2. JB7
3. RC927
4. mrphone
5. jimmyjet
6. mooredan
7. EJ
8. doitinthewoods
9. JB1?
10. mustang?

Old 07-19-2007, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Some very disappointing news. Was supposed to be done Tues or Wed at latest. I called yesterday, Wed. They lost the work order & my part (which they at least found now) so they did not even start. Worse yet they claim it is now at least a week out but probably more. Having my bike out of commision with newly installed big bore kit yet to be fired is not acceptable--its my daily driver. So I told them to take a hike. Long story short, there will be no plates. It seems these forum deals always fizzle (brake lines & line guards come to mind) but I tried & incompetent poeple took this one away. I'll either just put my stock capped one back on or make something myself with a hacksaw & drill press (& you wont want one of those). If anyone wants to take this up I'd buy one for myself. Sorry.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks anyway for giving it a shot.

Quick Reply: Smog air injection block off plate--checking interest