Should my new idler gear come with the bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Should my new idler gear come with the bushing?

SO - I ordered a new idler gear for my 1997 KLX300. From my research they changed the gear in 2003. I ordered the 2003 - 2007 gear as it was rumored to be a possible upgrade/fix to the early idler gear issue.

As it turns out, the teeth on the 2003-2007 gear appear more robust. They have greater pressure angle (I believe that's the correct way to put it). The 2003+ gear is closer to a straight cut gear.

ANYWAY - the opening of the 1997-2002 gear is 19mm.
The opening of the 2003-2007 gear is 20mm.
The OD of the shaft the idler gear installs on is 17mm.

I thought for a moment rats! The new gear won't work!

Then it hit me - the new gear I received has NO BUSHING IN IT!

Now is makes sense. It appears they increased the opening in the 2003-2007 idler gear from the former 19mm to 20mm to accommodate a slightly thicker bushing.

Unfortunately, the gear I received right from bikebandit.com has no bushing. Shouldn't these gears come complete with the center bushing? That's the reason people usually buy the gear - I thought the bushing wasn't available separately?

I wonder if someone bought a gear, pressed out the bushing to use on their gear, then returned the new gear without the bushing?

Odd. Can someone who has bought a new idler gear please confirm it ships with the bushing?

Thanks,

Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't have a problem with my gear, my problem was with the bushing/case being smashed. I just had a new bushing made by a machinist using brass bushing stock. I worked through the local moto shop. I just posted so you know there is another option if you can't find a bushing.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I didn't have a problem with my gear, my problem was with the bushing/case being smashed. I just had a new bushing made by a machinist using brass bushing stock. I worked through the local moto shop. I just posted so you know there is another option if you can't find a bushing.
Thanks!

You're not too far from me - I'm in Las Vegas, NV.

How long did it take to have the new bushing made?

I wonder if I should see about having the shop that made your bushing make a bushing for me?

Brian

Old 05-01-2017, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

It was a machinist brother of one of the wrenches at D&K service here in Cottonwood, AZ. I don't even remember his name. If you call in there expect some blowback from the counter guy, just try and get past him to one of the wrenches or owner. I took the whole bike in there and left it, once I figured out what the issue was and had them put it all back together, so I don't know how detailed measurements they did or what. It was something I couldn't do. It is an 07, so the exact dimensions/installation may have changed a little compared to your bike!
I would just take the gear in to a local machinist in LV. Mike the case where it is going and take the outside case in with you. I got mine before the original bushing blowout got into the case
It only has load on it when you hit the starter, so it is not a super critical tolerance component.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I machined and installed an oilite flanged bushing in my original idler gear. Started with something similar to p/n 6659K32 from McMaster-Carr.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#sae-841-br...hings/=17fkciv

I haven't put many miles on the bike since then..............too many injuries, so I don't know how long it would hold up.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys.

The single biggest weak point on the whole bike and it sounds like Kawasaki discontinued the part!

I wonder what everyone else out there is doing? Is everyone getting custom machined bushings made for their bikes?

FYI here is my gear and bushing:

Name:  20170430_234807_zpsrwjocw7s.jpg
Views: 2437
Size:  3.19 MB

Thanks for the link Brewster. I was actually looking at bushings on Mcmaster the other day. Of course, 17mm seems to be an oddball ID diameter for a bushing.

Last edited by vtvette; 05-01-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:31 PM

I just found out about this issue the hard way as well. Once taking cover off realized the idler gear lodged itself back of clutch basket and snapped the shaft. I got a whole transmission from a shop out of a 2007 klx 300 but the end where I thought idler to go is different and doesn’t have a groove for clip. Does it not go on the end of transmission shaft? Any help appreciated first time doing a big fix like this but can’t locate a schematic of idler gear in place on “x” shaft. Cheers