Shocks for jumping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Shocks for jumping?

i heard that a certain company makes a cheaper mod for the KLX that will greatly aid its jumpability by nearly eliminating all bottom outs. if this is true anyone knwo just who makes it? also, does anyone know of anaftermarket rear shock or spring???

Old 03-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Shocks for jumping?

I've seen a rubber bushing thing that fits on the rear shock so that if it does bottom it is not so harsh. Is that what you mean?

I've also heard a progressively wound spring can help. A progressive spring has more coils on one end than the other which effectively gives it multiple spring rates so that it is plush for some of its range but tightens up when the range deepens and can be a good way to go. Doesn't make it bottom-proof of course, but can make it handle a wider variety of conditions than a straight rate spring.

Another thing I was looking into at one point before I finally decided to just get new fork springs of the proper stiffness was looking at picking up a set of KX forks. I have it on good authority that a set of 1995 KX500, KX250, or KX125 forks will bolt-on to the KLX with perhaps some minor axle work. I have it on the same authority that those forks' internals are a lot better than those of the KLX300 or '250 and would make an excellent upgrade. And ... if you are patient you can get a pair off e-bay for pretty cheap, $40 or $50. They will probably need revalved for off-road as opposed to MX, probably need seals, and maybe springs depending on your weight, but they are nice forks and an economical upgrade that provides good quality internals and rebound adjustment in addition to the usual compression adjustment.

Other years may work too, but the key with the 1995 is that it is a 43mm fork which will fit in our triple clamps and the brake caliper mount is the same as ours. Other years either went to a 46mm or the brake caliper mount is different. With the 46mm forks, you'd need to get the triple clamps as well and then get those to fit the KLX frame (different stem length). With those that have the different brake caliper mount, the easiest thing to do would be to dig up a new / used brake caliper to fit the KX fork. But if you stick with 1995 KX forks, the only work I think is a bushing to make the KLX axle fit.

Just some food for thought ...